News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N scale single dome tank car

Started by Ron McF, March 20, 2009, 01:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron McF

For Bachmann...

On the product pages for your N scale single dome tank cars, you have used photos of your HO models instead of the N scale versions.  I've never seen Bachmann cars like this in N scale - only a 3-dome version, and a more modern looking car with a platform around the valves (or whatever they are).

Are the Bachmann N scale cars really of the style pictured?

Regards,
Ron

James in FL

B'mann did in fact make the single dome version in N scale. I don't know if they still do.
I have the "Dow" single dome in green paint.
That one is the only Bachmann tank car I own, so I can't speak as to the other liveries.

IIRC, It was included in a train set,  the "Empire Builder", I received roughly10 years ago.

the Bach-man

Dear Ron,
There are six single domes in the new catalog, five of which picture the N Scale model. Catalogs often use a model in another scale to illustrate the graphics.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Ron McF

Hi Mr Bach-man.

Thanks for the reply.  I don't mean to seem ungrateful, but I have to wonder whether we're discussing the same cars here.

The cars that I am interested in are in the product-number range #73481 to #73493. You have seven cars listed in this range in your on-line product catalog, and the pages for five of them (#73484, #73486, #73487, 73488 and #73490) all carry the words "An HO scale version of this model is shown for illustration purposes." The photos for all seven cars show round domes and NO platforms, such as this one of your #73493:

I did some Googling and found a number of on-line stores that have photos of cars purporting to be in this group, but which have platforms. For example, Walthers shows car #73493 as this:

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/160-73493

So I guess I have answered my question myself - the photos for your N scale single dome tank cars are NOT representative of the actual models. Am I wrong in saying that?

Regards,
Ron McF

the Bach-man

Dear Ron,
The catalog will often use a model in a different scale to illustrate the graphics of a new model in another scale. The upper photo is the HO car; the lower, the N Scale version.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Ron McF

Thanks Mr Bach-man.

I'm familiar with the common practice of using a photo of a model in a different scale, and I'm comfortable with that so long as appropriate warnings are included.  In this case however, the HO car is an entirely different car style to the N scale car, and I think that's a bit unreasonable.

Regards, and thanks again,
Ron

ncbqguy

Bachmann does not make a "Single Dome Tank Car".
The car they do make is a 40 FT Chemical Tank Car.   Chemical Tank Cars do not have "domes" but have pressure relief valves and, most often, railed platforms for access to the loading/unloading valves topside.
Unfortunately, many times the catalog folks use HO illustrations for the N Scale cars.
Bachmann has a nice range of tooling for their N Scale Freight Cars and over the years it has been severely underutilized.   With a little touching up (better brakewheels, running boards, new correct wheelbase and wheel diameter AAR trucks, thinner stirrups / ladders, etc..)  AND more than one paint job/roadname/roadnumber per decade they could be sold in the non-premium (Atlas "Trainman") category.   
And, according to Bachmann's own R&D guy, there is tooling that has never been run in the N Scale freight car line.  It would  be nice if the CB&Q NE12 "Streamlined Cupola" caboose was one of them!!!
How about getting some mileage out of these cars????   
Charlie Vlk
Railroad Model Resources

Ron McF

Quote from: ncbqguy on March 23, 2009, 12:02:12 PM
Bachmann does not make a "Single Dome Tank Car".
The car they do make is a 40 FT Chemical Tank Car.   <snip>
Unfortunately, many times the catalog folks use HO illustrations for the N Scale cars.

Thanks Charlie.

Even more unfortunately, Bachmann DESCRIBES its 40ft chemical car as a "40' Single-Dome Tank Car" in the products catalog on this website.  I'm well aware of the differences between the two car styles, and I was hoping that I'd stumbled across a new model that I could run with my MTL single dome tank cars, for a bit of variety.

BTW - I agree with your comments about the Bachmann tooling.  I have a bunch of their quad-hoppers; and before Atlas released its 2-bay covered hoppers I cut down about a dozen Bachmann 3-bay hoppers to make 2-bay versions.  I've even given serious consideration to how I might remove two domes from the Bachmann 3-dome tank car.

Regards,
Ron