News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N scale buildings

Started by Wesley, March 26, 2007, 12:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wesley

I am building a layout but find the N-scale buildings sold by Bachmann not realistic because of the funky colors - I am looking for a source of inexpensive realistic looking buildings. I am tied of repainting Bachmann stuff.
Does anyone have experience in this area?

Franz T

To be honest, all plastics structures do need to be painted. It makes them look much more realistic and less toy-like. I have found that Model Power structures are an excellent value. They are made by various european manufacturers, mostly Pola and Heljan. (Heljan, I believe, also makes the models for Walthers' Cornerstone Models series) Cornerstone, I have found, makes the best molded colors, but I still painted the ones I built, and the difference in appearance is dramatic. Unfortunately, "Cornerstone Series" and "inexpensive" should never be used in the same sentence. >:(
DPM makes great models; the price is right, the detail is superb and they are easy to build. However, they do require painting as they are molded in tan plastic with all detail (window frames, sills and lintels) molded on.

HTH,

Franz T

Rocky

I have bought quite a few woodland scenics buildings. Many of the new ones look great. Check out the newly released general store. I have found buildings on ebay that other modelers have built and detailed also. I make and paint my own models also. A little bit of everything.

ABC

Model Power is pretty good, as far as colors and prices go...

possumite

DPM/ Woodland Scenics are pretty good, if not, one of the best for detail.  Simple to build and they supply a lot of extras, particularly when you purchase the"Town and Factory Set", p/n S1485; cheaper to buy the set than buying the individual buildings. Walthers will occasionally have them on sale.
Going from "G" to "O" to "HO" to "N", The detailing becomes pretty tedious, but can be worth the trouble. The airbrush can still be your friend, though coupled with a magnifier. Good Luck!

jwoj69

Quote from: Wesley on March 26, 2007, 12:43:44 PM
I am building a layout but find the N-scale buildings sold by Bachmann not realistic because of the funky colors - I am looking for a source of inexpensive realistic looking buildings. I am tied of repainting Bachmann stuff.
Does anyone have experience in this area?

Alternative source is Kato for prebuild or Tomix.
jack

en4cer

I feel your pain when it comes to building N scale structures, however it is gratifying to have a finished product that you built yourself. I have built my own stuctures and just recently purchased a couple of pre-built structures sold by Model Power that my favorite hobby shop just got in. These are pre-painted and pre-lit. I thought I would try them out on my layout to see how they look as opposed to the stuctures that I buid myself. One other thing I might mention, I visit garage sales and 5 and dime stores and I have found some ceramic stuctures that have excelect detail and look great on my layout.
Larry

Nature_Okie

Maybe you should LIMIT your painting to details... :-\

If you kit-bash the buildings can be varied, but, must be painted MORE. ARE you working on planned and  functional ideas; or throwing the ones offered around your layout?  ???