News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

44T Photos Are Finally Up

Started by David Leonard, April 13, 2009, 02:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Leonard

Photos are posted in the N scale products, motive power section.

Santa Fe buff

*drool*

That's amazing, I especially love the New Haven scheme. I'm checking them out right now. Thanks for posting.

Josh
- Joshua Bauer

C855B

OOooooooo...  ;D

This is good news. My edu-analysis is that these are live production samples express-shipped ahead of the rest of the production being loaded into a container, and we mere mortals get to wait for the boat. The handrails on the yellow one are all askew because somebody probably didn't pack it right; kudos to B'mann for pix of the real thing even tho' it wasn't perfect.

Guess is probably 3-5 weeks 'til hitting dealer shelves.

Santa Fe buff

The photo gallery only gives us an undecorated version, still very cool.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

rdrnnr1971

Anyone know if they will be offering the 44 ton in the Rio Grande scheme, like they are in HO scale??

TCWORLD

Tom

-~The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time~-

C855B

Quote from: rdrnnr1971 on April 21, 2009, 07:21:50 PM
Anyone know if they will be offering the 44 ton in the Rio Grande scheme, like they are in HO scale??

Doubtful. I noticed a while back that all of the schemes being offered don't require image licensing. D&RGW would be a UP-owned appearance. It's not that licensing is expensive (fortunately), it's just a hassle which requires management attention.

I really do wish that they (the Bachmann "they") had offered the 44-tonner in true unpainted/undecorated. That would make for less effort for those of us modeling licensed-image roads to do our own thing, as it were.

IOW, welcome to model railroading in the corporate oligopoly era.  :-[

rdrnnr1971

Hey C885B

Thanks for the response! Yeah I see your point about the licensing issue! A shame. I did e-mail Bachmann directly and I guess what is available is all that are going to be offered. I, too, wish they would offer an unpainted/unlettered version, or in my case even a black unlettered version would be nice!

Chris333

Don't they need permission to do B&O from CSX?

C855B

Interesting... good point. I just checked their licensing docs, and CSX is in fact protecting B&O (and everything else theirs) to the tune of $1 for each model. I would not be surprised, however, if they granted the major makers a waiver or low-fee up-front license just out of the economy of not having to administer it.

Actually, in the reading it, CSX's current license is pretty draconian relative to the others better known for it, at least the fee schedule is. The others have backed-off per-unit pricing. :-\

Now you make me wonder whether the McGinnis scheme has any protection. Hmmm.

Chris333

Atlas always lists them with their roadnames. So far I see C&O, B&O, ACL, NYC/P&LE, Clinchfeild, Chessie System, SCL, and L&N all are CSX licensed. New Haven isn't listed as licensed by anyone. A whole bunch of old western roads are licensed by UP like Rio Grande, MKT, SP, MP, WP, CNW, and Cotton Belt.

Not a complete list, but you see how there are a bunch of roadname that are covered. I think MFGs make some sort of blanket payments or just get permision to use the trademarks.

C855B

You forgot T&NO and the NWP. They're also covered by UP's licensing. ;D

BNSF licenses all of their predecessors, too. You think they're going to let red/silver out into the wilds of "public domain"? No way.

(I know A LOT about this licensing crap. Too much, really - sort of like knowing what's in the sausage. My overlooking B&O was a mind fart, forgetting that CSX was just being CSX, the road I love to hate for their corporate shenanigans.)