decoder installation in a small tender ( Bachmann ten wheeler#82302

Started by ta152h0, April 15, 2009, 01:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ta152h0

Tender too small to house a steam sound decoder so i need a flat car with junk loaded on it to hide the decoder printed board itself. the speaker wire is long enough to go back to the locomotive. So i have a three vehicle installation and I bet a case of beer I am gonna get flamed by the club  ;D ;D ;D

Santa Fe buff

Interesting solution. Keep us posted, and tell us how it goes. By the way, could you tell us what sound decoder your using?

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

ta152h0

Absolutely, an MRC # 1629. And if I could be taught how to get images on the answers, that would be appreciated.

ta152h0

just got hit with a thought. A flat car with a load covered by a taro, perhaps a 30 footer, would fit almost any period.

Santa Fe buff

HO Gauge Synchronized Steam Sound Decoder with 12 Sound Functions

• Synchronized steam chuff with random sounds
  • 1.5 amp capacity
  • Programmable for either 2-digit (1-127) or 4-digit (1-9999) addresses
  • Programmable start voltage, acceleration and deceleration rate, top voltage and 14, 28, 128 speed steps
  • Directional lighting control for front and rear lights at 0.2 amp rate
  • 12 accessory sound functions (F1-F12)
  • Supports advanced consisting (CV19) and programming on the main
  • Compatible with NMRA DCC standard
  • Complies with part 15 of FCC
  • 28mm speaker included

Dimensions: 47.0mm x 17.5mm x 5.2mm

Good choice.

You right-click the picture, and the little menu pops up. I scrolled down and selected "Copy Image URL". Then when you go to reply, you hit the image button and two 'img' things should pop up. Paste the URL you copied between the two ][ . That's exactly how I posted your decoder picture above.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

rustyrails

I own a ten-wheeler, and have been doing some research on adding sound.  I know that I found a picture of a decoder and speaker all wedged into that little tender.  I'll see if I can't find it again and post it here, or at least a url. 
Rusty

richG

I installed a speaker and Micro-Tsunami in a 4-6-0 with 52 inch drivers and small tender. tender.
Here is how it was done at Litchfield Station.

http://litchfieldstation.com/DCC-University/install/HOSS/Bachmann-4-6-0-826102.htm

You can face the speaker up or down. My installation, the speaker faces up. Both methods work. Experience, not opinion. Drill a bunch of small holes in the plastic coal load. With a thin coating of glue, sprinkle on some coal to finish. Some people do not bother with the coal.

Rich

ta152h0

The tender shown in the pictures is a very large tender, almost as long as the locomotive itself. the tender on mine is less than half as long as the locomotive. Even removing the board and soldering the decoder directly to the pickup is still a challenge. My goal was to not modify/cut up the tender that came with the locomotive. I am headin' out to radio Shack later on and see if they have small piezzo speakers

richG

Here is my installation. I should have used the speaker recommended by Litchfield. It is half the thickness.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,5661.0.html

Do not use a Radio Shack piezzo  device. You will be disappointed. You need a 1.1 inch OD speaker that is .22 inch thick.
http://www.litchfieldstation.com/xcart/product.php?productid=410105

You can do this without removing the center pole but it will be a challenge. You can also drill holes in the tender frame and point the speaker down.

DO NOT FORGET THE 1K RESISTOR FOR THE LED. YOU DO NOT WANT TO TAKE APART THE LOCO TO REPLACED THE LED. THAT IS MUCH WORSE THAN THE DECODER INSTALLATION.

Decoder and keep alive capacitor. I made my own mounting points for the shell.

You need to use some ingenuity. Your mileage may vary.

Rich

jerryl

Quote from: ta152h0 on April 15, 2009, 01:22:56 PM
Tender too small to house a steam sound decoder so i need a flat car with junk loaded on it to hide the decoder printed board itself. the speaker wire is long enough to go back to the locomotive. So i have a three vehicle installation and I bet a case of beer I am gonna get flamed by the club  ;D ;D ;D
Check Tony's Train Exchange.. they have done this in the small tender.   Jerry

richG

Quote from: jerryl on April 16, 2009, 01:09:27 PM
Quote from: ta152h0 on April 15, 2009, 01:22:56 PM
Check Tony's Train Exchange.. they have done this in the small tender.   Jerry

Do you have a direct link to alleged install at Tony's Trains, not tonystrains.com?

I looked around but could not find it. I would like to have the direct link for others who may have the same question. Thanks.

Rich