News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tuning up a new 4-8-4 Santa Fe...

Started by scax330, May 30, 2009, 08:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scax330

Hi All,

I recently purchased a new DCC-equipped Bachmann 4-8-4 Santa Fe. While I'm quite happy with the appearance of this loco, she wobbles heading down the track.

This doesn't seem like a problem that bad enough to send to Bachmann service, seems like she just needs a tune up job, perhaps just a re-quartering of the drivers.

My Question is: what tools should I obtain for this kind of work? What do I use for detaching the side-rods, itc. I'm already getting a NWSL quartering jig and have some small screw drivers, am I missing anything?

Regards,
scax330

hotrainlover

If it waddles a lot, send it into Bachmann, as you just purchased it.

mf5117

I also have a 4-8-4 sante fa . I'm running it on ez track . I have the same problem . Where did you buy it at . I figured it was the EZ Track .Being some of the rails are miss matched on make up . "A little higher than the other "  Rail joiner fit up is ok . don't notice it much on the tender , but can see it on the engine . I've done everything possible i know of  , and have read . If you find something with yours let me know ...

I ordered mine from a hobby shop out of new york . It was on sale . And i think i got the sale . or shaft .    Looks great , but mechanics sucks .

rustyrails

A common cause of the wobbles is a manufacturing defect that results in the drivers not being pressed onto the axles squarely.  In other words, the plane of the driver HAS to be perpendicular to the centerline of the axle.  If that condition is not met, the loco will wobble.  Send it back.  If you are determined to try to fix it yourself, you will also need a gear/wheel puller. 
Rusty