News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

problem with percy

Started by shining time, June 02, 2009, 11:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shining time

has anyone had a problem with percy overheating? ???
i have had 2 percys with the same problem, they  run on a small layout  and he is only pulling 2 cars.
long live the GWR, LNER, and the narrow gauge railways

James The Red Engine

Nope, never happened to me.  Have you been running him at high speeds?  They aren't built to run at full speed all the time.

shining time

no i don't run him at high speeds,and  he somtimes he smells like rubber burning

shining time

dear the bachmann
I have the bachmann percy and i am having a problem please help
this is my problem, percy overheats and have to run him at 50+ in order for him to move. this is my 2nd percy.

Anthony P2

mine overheated the other day. white smoke started to come out of him. and he smelt wierd.

shining time

anthony p2
mine isn't smoking yet! but mine smells weird too.
i also ask the bachmann about this . you might want to ask the bachmann too.  if i get an answer i will post it. thanks

jettrainfan

Quote from: Anthony P2 on June 02, 2009, 08:43:41 PM
mine overheated the other day. white smoke started to come out of him. and he smelt wierd.

DCC controller? to shining time & Anthony P2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

ThomasFan247

My first Percy out of 2 overheated, but I did have it for about 6-7 years.  :-\

Guilford Guy

Quote from: jettrainfan on June 02, 2009, 09:32:00 PM

We can assume the new guy's is not DCC equipped as he would have stated. Motors frequently get warm, so its not something you should be terribly worried about. It won't suddenly catch fire and create a lake of burning plastic on your layout. Does the loco run with a jerking motion, or smoothly.
Alex

Anthony P2

Quote from: jettrainfan on June 02, 2009, 09:32:00 PM

nope regular bachmann and an Atlas transformer

i also ran percy a couple of times in the last year or so and if i put him on full speed for about 1 min he would smell bad when i stoped him and i saw white smoke,a nd it takes me a wile for him to get a good connectin to the track(and yes i always clean my track) the poor engine is 5 -6 years old

shining time

no dcc on my layout but mine just heats up because i have to run him at 50+ for him to go tracks are clean. short jerks in the begining but none after that

jettrainfan

i Would say it needs some breaking in but the smoke part demolished that idea :(.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

Guilford Guy

Its possible the wheels are a little dirty... Take a paper towel wet with rubbing alcohol and lay it across the rails. Put the first set of drivers on the paper towel, holding the loco there, while turning up the power. You'll probably get big black streaks on the paper towel. Do this for the rear drivers as well.
Another possibility is the wheels are out of quarter, but don't attempt to fix that unless you know exactly what you're doing.
Alex

goldwing

Hay, just a month ago my percy stoped working too. He was only about maybe one year old, and he did smell like burning ruber or a skunk (don't aks me why I know this :P). But also on the layout, he would run w/ jerks almost every time and then stop, and thats when th smell kicks into action. The smoking didn't happen untill my final run to see if my new controler (the one that you get in the bachmann thomas set as the one in my james set broke while I moved :-\). So from that day onward I stoped using him, and bought a new one w/ a gordon. But now he is used for parts if my engins needed it. The speed I ran percy on was about 40 to start, and just about at 45 it began to jerck too. His pulling poer was waek though, as he could only pull one gordon coach w/ miner strugle. But that put the thought in my head that something is wrong. :-\
Well  any answers dudes?
P.S. GG, his wheels were clean, as I rubed it with a soft cloth w/ h2o, but still dude, you got all the answers, and maybe can you answer this mistery, and I will try the alchol idea too. We need your help too Mr. Bachmann sir. Thanks.
Ok, so I return after 3 years, and guess what, I have no railways. FAIL

shining time

thanks giulford guy for the idea i will try it