News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Digitrax Sound Decoder

Started by andylvtrains, June 07, 2009, 02:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andylvtrains

I would like to add a new decoder + sound to all of my spectrum steam locomotives. 

Digitrax has a DH165IP that is compatible with their soundbug SFX004.  Does anyone know if the DH165IP has a socket for the soundbug like the other decoders of the series DH165xx.  From the DH165IP photo I cannot see any socket ...

Also, if there is no socket, can you just connect the SFX004 pins 9 and 10 to somewhere in the tender (if anybody has already done it, a picture would be very appreciated)?

Thanks 

pdlethbridge

The 165 IP does not have a plug for the sound bug. The sound bug can be wired to the red and black leads. ( right and left rail ) The sound bug is by default supposed to be steam sound. The one I got was diesel and I couldn't rest for steam. The diesel did sound good, but it would need a speaker enclosure as the sound is weak with just the speaker.

Jim Banner

PD, did you have your sound bug connected to a decoder that was connected to a motor when you tried to reprogram it to steam sound?  I recently read a suggestion that having a load connected is a prerequisite to programming the bug, but have not yet confirmed it.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

pdlethbridge

Jim2903

Has anyone actually heard the Soundbug's steam sound? I was going to get one until I was told that the "generic" steam sound on the Soundbug is a UP Challenger. However, Digitrax lists both generic steam and the Challenger among the available steam sounds on its Web site. I need mine for a USRA 0-8-0, so I don't want it to sound ridiculous. I know the Soundbug can be programmed, but I don't want to buy all the programming accessories for just one loco.
Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL

Cascade International Ry.