News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Found a railroad to model

Started by BestSnowman, June 09, 2009, 07:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BestSnowman

I found a railroad to model some rolling stock/locomotives after: http://www.progressiverail.com

One of the business my company has is printing law books (we are even listed in the credits for Law & Order), and we even print them at the location I work (Eagan, MN). I knew that we recieved a train load of paper several times per week but hadn't thought much about it. I got a little curious about it because I didn't recognize the color scheme so I did some researching and found Progressive Rail. Based on the photos it looks like their paint scheme is something even I could reproduce on unpainted models.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

Guilford Guy

Excellent Choice. Their Blue/White/Red scheme is the same as the Minneapolis Northfield & Southern. The owner is a railfan as well!
Alex

jettrainfan

Looks simple and nice, go for it! ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

TexasChief

From the looks of those pictures, you could probably save them and use them for wallpaper also. Good choice.

Dick
Texas Chief
Santa Fe All The Way!

CNE Runner

Assuming it is the same company, Progressive Rail is a large company that produces everything from re-manufactured locomotives to switches (prefab at that...think Atlas Snap Switches in 1:1 scale). I have a passing acquaintance with the CEO, Mr. Billy Answorth, who has been kind enough to show me some of the company's operation. The Progress Rail jet is stored at the Northeastern Regional Airport in Albertville, AL and makes frequent trips to their manufacturing facilities in the U.S. and Mexico. Some years ago the Progress Rail Chief Pilot offered to get permission for me to accompany him on a flight to P.R.'s engine rebuilding facility in Covington, KY (I was a flight instructor at the airport and knew the Chief Pilot well). The hitch? I had to find my own way back! 'Sorta wish I had taken him up on his offer. I must admit I wasn't aware that Progress Rail was in the freight handling business...I'll have to ask Mr. Ainsworth when we eventually return to the Albertville area.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

BestSnowman

CNE Runner: I think it might be a different company ad this one lists their CEO on the website as Lon Van Gemert.

I decided to take a MSTL Quad Hopper that needs new wheels and couplers (came with a set, not very high quality) and use it as a practice piece of stock for conversion (rather than waiting till I have a new unlettered stock).

This is what I have as a so far (1 coat cover all but a few nooks and crannies): http://cid-811d1df10b2b3e61.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Train/IMG%7C_1055.jpg

This is what I started with (sorry, couldn't find one bigger than a thumbnail): http://cid-811d1df10b2b3e61.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Train/MSTL%7C_QuadHopper%7C_541085.jpg
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

OkieRick

Snowman,

I inherited some rail stock that has been beautifully painted RR rusty-red.  I believe they are old Tyco stuff and need wheel sets & couplers.  Where can I find decals not for any particular line (PRR as below) but the RR info on every car - numbers, etc. like this...

Anyone?

Rick

Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

CNE Runner

Bestsnowman: Thanks for the clarification regarding Progress Rail...I wonder if it should have been given as Progressive Rail? Oops, better late than never I reread your post and you do mention Progressive Rail...sorry about that. Good luck with your new rail line anyway.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

BestSnowman

Quote from: CNE Runner on June 12, 2009, 04:25:18 PM
Bestsnowman: Thanks for the clarification regarding Progress Rail...I wonder if it should have been given as Progressive Rail? Oops, better late than never I reread your post and you do mention Progressive Rail...sorry about that. Good luck with your new rail line anyway.

Regards,
Ray

It is a pretty generic name, there probably is more than one 'Progressive' rail company
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

OkieRick

Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

pdlethbridge

another decal site
http://www.greatdecals.com/
I found progressive listed under scale rail graphics but the HO set is sold out and the company is no longer producing decals. BUT, you might be able to contact them and find out from them if they know of someone producing the decals.

wjstix

Quote from: BestSnowman on June 12, 2009, 04:45:03 PM
Quote from: CNE Runner on June 12, 2009, 04:25:18 PM

Regards,
Ray

It is a pretty generic name, there probably is more than one 'Progressive' rail company

The confusion might be due in part to the fact that Progressive Rail now owns and operates railroads in several different states. But generally once you register a company name, nobody else can use it.

It's an interesting choice to model !!  I lived along the MN&S "High Line" in Richfield MN from 1958-2006 so I saw the tracks being run by the MN&S, Soo Line, CP Rail, and finally Progressive Rail. BTW many oldtimers in Richfield still call it the "Dan Patch" line, from the RR that built it, the Minneapolis St.Paul Rochester and Dubuque Electric Traction Co., better known as the "Dan Patch Electric Line". The RR's owner, Col. Savage, also owned the famous trotter.

Note that their paintscheme isn't exactly like the MN&S one. The MN&S engines had silver roofs the length of the engine, Progressive doesn't do that. Plus some Progressive engines use light blue handrails instead of white...well, way back MN&S just used black of course.

Many Progressive engines are ex-MNS engines, and some still have the Hancock Air Whistles, although they have airhorns too and usually use them because they are much louder. Too bad, the Hancock is very close to a steam engine whistle, it was quite jarring to hear the contrast when Soo Line starting running by the house with their BLAT airhorns in the eighties.  ;)

BestSnowman

Quote from: wjstix on June 16, 2009, 01:46:35 PM
The confusion might be due in part to the fact that Progressive Rail now owns and operates railroads in several different states. But generally once you register a company name, nobody else can use it.

What I meant was its possible that there could be more than one railroad based company with progressive in the name, not that there could be two progressive rails.

In terms of modeling I have the advantage that a train goes by my work several times a week and I regularly see it when I am parking my car in the morning so if I have any issues with coloring I can just watch it a little closer the next time I see it :)
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog