News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Squeaking Mountain

Started by FECfan, July 14, 2009, 01:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FECfan

I bought a Light Mountain (Bachmann Spectrum Line) a few weeks ago, and all of a sudden it started a terrible squeaking, I greased all of the moving parts on the Driving Axles, an still a squeaking is apparent.  One note I have is I left it running for about an Hour and a half, on a double-header at half speed, while I did other work and when I checked it, nothing was de-railed and it squeaked, I am open to suggestions on repairs.  (before anyone mentions it my radii is 28")

Jim Banner

When I read your title, I had visions of a mountain full of mice and was going to suggest traps.  But instead, I will make a suggestion that might work better for your mountain locomotive.

Sometimes the thin bronze flat springs that are used to pick up power from the backs of wheels and tender axles will squeal.  A tiny drop of light weight oil applied right where the pickup and axle or wheel back meet can do wonders, not only for silencing the squeak but also for improving pickup.  If the oil is light enough to be listed as a conductive oil, so much the better.  For obvious reasons, do not use grease on these pickups!

I assume you used a plastic compatible grease to avoid damaging the gears.  Depending on the particular grease, it may be a bit heavy for axle bearings and is deffinitely too heavy for the bushing on the ends of the motor.  A tiny bit of light, plastic compatible oil can be put on each end of the motor, where the shaft comes through the case.  Add a bit more on the crank pins on the drivers for the ends of the main rods and connecting rods.  And don't forget the cross head where it slides on the crosshead guides.  Depending on the design of the crosshead guides, they sometimes like to squeak and squeal when they are dry.  While you are at it, the pilot wheels of many locomotives run on metal axles which turn in a metal truck.  Make sure to put a wee bit of oil where the axles and trucks meet, both sides.  If it still squeals, check for plastic flash touching a wheel or axle.  Keep after it until the squeak goes away or the mice go home.

Jim 

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Stephen D. Richards

To add a bit to what Jim advised....as a rule of thumb I lube Steam Locomotives ins this manner; 
1)  lube the worm gear with whiter grease
2)  lube the main gear (gear that is between the worm gear and the drive axle) with LaBelle's gear oil.
3)  one drop of Labelles or Bachmann's Light Oil on the axle bearing surfaces
4)  lube the rod contact points with the same oil
5)  lube ever so slightly the brush contact points with Bachmann's Conductive Oil or here lately Wahls clipper oil.  (a Jim Banner suggestion by the way)

This is a method that works very well for me and I have gotten into the habit of following this pattern.  Helps to keep me from forgetting something!  Stephen

FECfan

Well, I tried it and it's defiantly better, not perfect but better.

FECfan

Okay, now it happened again, so I opened up the wheels and greased what I didn't before, and now Driver #2 won't go back in! HELP!

Stephen D. Richards

Any more info.  I'm not sure what is happening exactly.   Stephen

FECfan

Well, case closed I just took one more look, and the Drive Rod was just in a position that the main driver wouldn't go back in properly  ;D

and by the way the main driver was squeaking, I put some light grease and I can see and hear it running properly  ;D