News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Best size locomotive for 18" radius- again!

Started by hunter2115, August 26, 2009, 10:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter2115

Sorry to revisit an old topic-
I'm fairly new to model railroading and I want to buy my first steam locomotive. With the price of DCC equipped locos, I don't want to buy something that will not work well with my 18" radius curves. I've been thru all of the previous posts and I'm still unsure. Can I get some rocommendations on which size Bachmann DCC equipped steam locos to consider?
Thanks for going thru the minimum size curve/loco size topic again...

jonathan

I have two 2-8-0 Consolidations; one Spectrum DC and one DCC.  Both will negotiate 18" radius curves with ease.  Don't have any larger steamers, so I can't speak to their performance.  Hope this helps.  R, J

simkon

The safest bet would be any diesel locomotive with two axles per truck or four axles total. Also steam engines with 2 or 0 leading wheels and 4 or 6 drive wheels and 2 or 0 trailing trucks would be best. I am not saying it is not possible to run locos with 6 axles or with 8 drive wheels and 4 leading or trailing wheels, I am just saying that 4 axle locos and 4 or 6 drive wheel steamers are "safer bets." Also, any trolleys, streetcars, & peterwitts should be fine.

jward

in addition to the locomotives listed, any geared steam locomotives such as shays or heislers should work.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Atlantic Central

hunter,

From what Bachmann has to offer, I would suggest you stay with the 2-8-0 and smaller locos. Another choice would be the 4-6-0.

Even the Russian Decopod would not be bad. Even though it has five coupled axles, the drivers are small and the wheel base short. On steam locos, the governing issue with curves is called rigid wheel base. It is the length of the set of drive axles that are coupled together. Locos with a rigid wheel base of 16 scale feet (about 2-1/4") or less will be fine on 18" radius.

On articulated locos, you need only be concerned with each set of drivers seperately, since the loco frame pivots in the front. Actually, most of todays articulated models have both sets of driver swiveling like a diesel allowing even smoother operation n our sharp model curves.

So, if you did want a BIG loco, something like the Bachmann 2-6-6-2 would also work and not look too bad on sharp curves.

Sheldon

sparkyjay31

Quote from: jonathan on August 26, 2009, 12:58:19 PM
I have two 2-8-0 Consolidations; one Spectrum DC and one DCC.  Both will negotiate 18" radius curves with ease.  Don't have any larger steamers, so I can't speak to their performance.  Hope this helps.  R, J

I secondthe above.  A Spectrum 2-8-0 is the largest I have and it easily goes around my 18" curves.  I absolutely recommend this engine for anyone just getting going.  Especially if you go with the dcc and sound version.  Jay
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

Robertj668

Hunter

These engines run well on my 18"
K4 4-6-2 runs fine. (This is my favorite)
Russian Decapod 2-10-0 runs fine
My 0-6-0's
Mt 0-8-0

What does not run is my J 4-8-4

My son wants a Articulated Engine (2-6-6-2) and I the Bachmann Book says it runs on an 18". I agree with Sheldon if you are looking for a larger steam the 2-6-6-2 will work.
eBay has some great prices.  And if you are lucky like I am. My local Hobby Sharp lets me do a payment plan!

Robert

jbsmith

2-8-4 Berkshires can handle them just fine, despite their size.
2-6-2 Prairies barely notice 18inch curves, cool little locos,,but they are not dcc. Inexpensive too if you shop around on the net.

The 2-8-0 would be a good choice too.

BLI blue line 2-8-2 Mikados too,,you can get these at a nice price too if
you shop/surf a bit on the net.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Don't forget the Richmond 4-4-0s. They run fine on an 18-R curve.

sparkyjay31

Quote from: jbsmith on August 27, 2009, 07:55:52 PM
2-8-4 Berkshires can handle them just fine, despite their size.
2-6-2 Prairies barely notice 18inch curves, cool little locos,,but they are not dcc. Inexpensive too if you shop around on the net.

The 2-8-0 would be a good choice too.

BLI blue line 2-8-2 Mikados too,,you can get these at a nice price too if
you shop/surf a bit on the net.

The BLI's can also be found on the BLI website sold a refurbished.  Nice deals if you are willing to take a chance.  They still have a full factory warranty too...Jay
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!