News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Couplers

Started by hawaiiho, October 11, 2009, 02:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawaiiho

???

Does some one know IF there is a reference  list which tells which Bachmann couplers fit which Bachmann HO products.

Some of the exploded views provide part numbers that correlate directly with a listing for an EZ Mate coupler, but many do not.

Again, Bachmann documentation leaves much to be desired.

Jhanecker2

Aloha.    I don't believe there is such a list for Bachmann Couplers .  The type of coupler you use is probally more dependent on the length of the car and the curvature of your track as well as the diameter of your wheelsets than some arbitrary manufacturers original equipment list. You will probably have to try multiple lengths and vertical offsets to determine what works best for you.   Cars interact differently with each other depending on length and how & where the coupler boxes are mounted. Sorry that there is no definative answer for every situation , somethings are still more Art than Science.  John II.

hawaiiho

The problem that I have run into is with the locomotives and tenders.

I have had a couple of coupler knuckle springs pop out and 1 case of a new FT-A arrive with the spring missing. Since it seems to take about 3 months turn around to send it back to Bachmann and costs more in postage than a pair of couplers, I wanted to get some replacements. But, the documentation is awful.  With many of the locos, all it says is Coupler, others have a Part or Product number that take me nowhere and with the FT-A, the part numbers are different depending on which data diagram I  read.

PRETTY SAD.

Jhanecker2

Are you familiar with the use of a caliper or micrometer ?   Measure your couplers & check the measurements  against the measurements of Kadee's coulers & then buy either Kadee or Bachmann Couplers  as necessary .  Kadee has an extensive listing of couplers & their utilization on their website.   I try to do as many repairs as possible myself if I can get materials . John II

ebtbob

Why not replace the spring yourself?   Springs are available from Kadee.   All you need is an Xacto knife,  a piece of thread,  and some acc glue.   Put the thread thru the spring and the knife blade into the tight coils at one end of the spring.   Put the spring on the retaining nub at the shank end of the coupler and then compress the spring to allow it to slip onto the nub on the knuckle.   Then remove the thread and put a drop of acc on the shank end of the spring.    This may sound difficult but it really isn't hard to do with very little practice.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

RAM

I would tell you not to try to put a drop of acc on the shank.  Use as little acc as possible.  Use a toothpick to apply the acc.. 

hawaiiho

Thanks for the replies. I really do appreciate them.

If I were 20 years old, I would probably have done the spring replacement, but I am well north of 70 and my eye sight will

probably not allow work with pieces that small.

I have given up on trying to find the information via Bachmann. Those couplers that are replaceable with Kadee couplers, which

are available to me out here, have already been replaced.  The FT-A units are a different story. They require a conversion kit

that  I cannot find here. All because Bachmann refuses to supply proper documentation. I have several data sheets that show

"ACC Cooupler" instead of a product or part number, on the exploded parts views

With the poor quality control and the lack of good documentation, I am about ready to give up on Bachmann, at least until they

get their act together.

Lately, I have been spending more time hunting proper documentation and shipping brand new  equipment, that is defective,

back  to Bachmann, than I have enjoying my trains.

Jim Banner

hawaiiho,
I don't know what part of Hawaii you live in or how much model railroading is happening there, but is there anyone that can help you?  Possibly in exchange for some mentoring in other aspects of model railroading?

I am part of a small group which model railroads at our local museum.  One of the things we do is help out other model railroaders.  Usually it is with advice but from time to time we will do the work too.  Kadee springs are a fairly common example.  We help younger people who have yet to develop their fine motor skills and older ones who have lost them.  For me, it is two minutes to flip a new spring into a Kadee coupler and not a whole lot more to install a compete new coupler.  Not a big deal.  But for the youngster or the oldster, it is an impossibility.  Hey, I know - I was young once.  I can still remember having things go wrong that I couldn't possibly fix.  And I still remember my Dad, or one of his friends, coming to my rescue.  Call it pay back time if you want to, but I enjoy the opportunity to perform magic, the way others once performed it for me.  Even more, I enjoy it when we sit down afterwards and share a coffee or a coke and talk model railroading, real railroading, accomplishments and aspirations.  I hope you too can find someone locally so you both can help and share.

Jim

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

hawaiiho

Last year the only remaining store that did much in model railroading closed and all that is left is a craft shop that carries a very limited(and I do mean limited) stock. Thus far I have not been able to find some one near me that is really very involved in HO.

We are going to make a trip to the maninland next month, so I thought if I could find out which were the most common couplers I have in my equipment inventory, I would buy a few pair of each.

That is where the problem started. Trying to determine which couplers to buy. I went to the Kadee web site and made a list of Kadee couplers to look for, but when it comes to Bachmann--forget it.
What is an "Ass Couppler" and where do I find it? Or an H11413 Coupler set. These are but two examples of the helpful information provided with the documentation  that came with my locomotives.

I'll keep plugging away. I'm not ready to give up yet----except with Bachmann.

hawaiiho

Quote from: ebtbob on October 12, 2009, 08:54:24 AM
         Why not replace the spring yourself?   Springs are available from Kadee.   All you need is an Xacto knife,  a piece of thread,  and some acc glue.   Put the thread thru the spring and the knife blade into the tight coils at one end of the spring.   Put the spring on the retaining nub at the shank end of the coupler and then compress the spring to allow it to slip onto the nub on the knuckle.   Then remove the thread and put a drop of acc on the shank end of the spring.    This may sound difficult but it really isn't hard to do with very little practice.

I don't know whether to thank you or not.  As I said my eye sight is such that working with some thing small would be improbable if not impossible.
As I was reading your post a second time, my lovely wife was reading over my shoulder. She left the room and came back about 15 minutes later and asked me---"does this work right?" She had put the one spring that I had in  the coupler of the loco that came new with a missing spring. Next came---"If you get more springs, I think I can fix the others. Now came the scary part---But it's going to cost you!!!

SO, Thank you, I think.  ::)

Jim Banner

I am glad to hear you have come up with a solution, although it sounds like it is going to cost more than a cup of coffee and some chatting about trains. ;D

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

mf5117

on the bachmann site , under product reference diagrams. the emd ft-a unit uses item # 7800  ez mate medium shank couplers .

hawaiiho

Quote from: mf5117 on October 14, 2009, 02:02:17 AM
on the bachmann site , under product reference diagrams. the emd ft-a unit uses item # 7800  ez mate medium shank couplers .

Yes, I saw that. Unforturnately, like a lot of the information on that web

site and in the documentation provided with the locomotives, it is not quite

correct.

I finally got through  to Bachmann Tech support and got proper product

number. That particular diagram is for an older until and is not what is used

on current production.

mf5117

wow hmm that isn't it . I will look at my ft-a unit and see what it says also. that makes me wonder now . I just bought a b unit. so they haven't been updated  on the site.I bought a few pairs of them so I may be stuck with them . Please excuse me was just trying to help . But I will say one thing all of my bachmann dcc engines I haven't had any problems with them . ...I will look at my ft-a diagram and see what it says as well .  and post later

mf5117

hi and hello from texas      my ft-a and b unit have EZ mate mark II couplers .I believe they are medium shank . As you stated they don't give a detailed description . in the previous post it says you may have to measure them to get the correct ones .and that is right as I don't know the shank length I just know there medium . haven't got that far into different shanks and draw bar lengths when I start have more derails than normal .that's when I'll remember a few things YAMPA BOB talked about in previous post about couplers string and lengths of rolling stock amount of trucks weights and ounces .etc etc