News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N Scale layout size

Started by Roget, October 21, 2009, 05:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roget

I am in the planning stages of my first layout. (N scale) & would appreciate some advice.
It will be a rural scene. I hope to have some grades, tunnels, ravines, bridges, etc.
How big would you suggest I go? I want it to be big enough to include the above (& feel a sense of accomplishment when I finish it) but not so large that I get  discouraged before I finish it.
I will be running a 4-6-6-2 & a 2-8-8-2.
Thanx in advance for any advice you can offer.

skipgear

Although the articulated loco's you mentioned will handle as small as 11" radius curves, that is probably not the most appealing option. I would suggest a bare minimum of around 13" radius for large steam. The larger the better. As far as size of the layout, that is harder to call. There are some very nice hollow core door layouts out there that accomplish what you want but may be a little busy.

How much room do you have? Basement, spare bedroom, garage?
Do you want and island style layout, shelf or around the room?
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

alhoop

Maybe do like John Allen did with his Gorre and Daphetid layouts 1, 2 and 3.
GD#1 was a small(HO) layout where he honed his skills, #2 was much larger and #3 filled a basement. Start small, maybe 2'x4'  and design the layout for expansion. That will allow you to experience all the aspects of building a layout,ie track support, track laying , scenery construction and more without being overwhelmed by the magnitude of tasks  to be accomplished.
See if you can find some info on Allens's Gorre and Daphetid.
Al

Roget

I will have an island. Probably 44" X 84" is the max I can consider. A little more if absolutly necessary. That should gve me enough width for a 18" radius loop on the outside and a smaller (maybe 16") radius loop inside that, shouldn't it? I am considering using foam layers for the base.
I appreciate any advice you have for me.

skipgear

Here is an album of pictures that may give you some ideas.

http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/showgallery.php/cat/1426

It's and all foam layout with a 13" Minimum radius double track mainline. This was built for a customer of the shop I work for. I'm not a big fan of island layouts so I tried to use the moutain range in the middle as a view block.

Island layouts take up too much space and are hard to photograph. I prefer a shelf layout or at least a narrower layout against a wall with return loops on each end. You can end up with longer runs and less space consumed in the room. An island requires a 2-3' walkway on all sides to be able to reach all points. A 2-3' deep shelf only requires access from the front and gives you a nice place for a backdrop to give your layout a sense of place.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950