News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-0 grinding noise

Started by Bill Weaver, November 06, 2009, 05:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Weaver

Hey All
One of my connies that I have had for 3 years has started making a grinding or vibrating noise going forward. At slow speed it is very loud. After speeding up it quiets down some. It's not nearly as loud in reverse.
It has an early Soundtraxx unit and is lettered and weathered for my RR and would hate to loose it.
Any ideas to what the noise mite be ? Is it still under warranty ?
Bill

ABC

It is no longer under full warranty per Bachmann' new policy.
Warranty Information
Bachmann's Lifetime Limited Warranty covers motorized units only. Under the warranty, Bachmann can decide whether to repair or replace an item at their discretion.
Items less than a year old are fully covered and will be serviced or replaced at no charge when accompanied with warranty card or proof of purchase.
For items more than one year old, there is a nominal service charge for repair or replacement (prices subject to change).   $20.00 -   DCC On Board™ and Spectrum® HO and N scales.

bobwrgt

Sounds like the drive belt may be worn out. Check the bottom drive gear on the drivers also. You will have to send it in to Bachmann for repair unless you can take it apart yourself.
Bob

Jim Banner

I have never seen a belt wear out in a Spectrum Consolidation (but it is possible.)  What I have seen is worn out bearings on the jack shaft.  This is the shaft that the belt runs to and also has the worm gear mounted on it.  The bushings, one on each end, are about the size of a wedding ring for a mouse.  And once the brass wears through, the shaft cuts quickly into the soft metal used for the frames.

It is possible to replace these bushings with new ones made of pieces of brass tubing.  Cut the tubing as long as will fit and deburr the ends.  Set the bushings into a cleaned and degreased frame, using a tiny bit of epoxy to hold them in place in the worn cavities.  You can keep the epoxy from getting between the shaft and your new bushings by using gear oil or light grease between the two.  Install both bushings and the shaft at the same time so that the shaft can keep the bushing aligned.

If you use a tiny drop of light oil on each end of the jack shaft every 50 hours or so, these bushings will outlast the originals.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

djp

Hi Bill, check the worm and pinion gear as well. I had a similar grinding noise and ignored it till the engine stopped altogether. The worm had worn the drive gear laterally. Am now looking for a replacement gear. Bachmann sells the entire drive assembly.
Get Off My Train !!!

Bill Weaver

Thanks guys for your help.
Can I send in the engine without the tender ?
Bill

ABC

Quote from: Bill Weaver on November 11, 2009, 12:32:15 PM
Thanks guys for your help.
Can I send in the engine without the tender ?
Bill
Bachmann needs you to send it in its original box with all the original parts included. It would cost you a $20.00 servicing fee in addition to shipping and handling fees.

Bill Weaver

Thanks ABC
I think I'll find another loco and keep my tender.
Bill