News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Locomotive History

Started by cct, April 14, 2007, 04:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cct

I'm trying to find real life history on many locomotives that Bachmann has manufactured as models in the past several years. For example, the GS4 4-8-4, Southern Pacific Daylight #4446. I can find information on #4449 but not on #4446. Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks!
CCT

Nigel

I strongly recommend that you join the Southern Pacific Historical Society for more information on the SP GS classes.  For other railroads, join the appropriate historical society.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

Locomotive10

Well,

I'll tell you what I know.

The 4449 is the sole survivor of the GS-4 Class. That is why you can find lots of info on it.

The 4446 suffered the fate of all other GS engines. It was scrapped and was turned in to soup cans, can openers, and washing machines.

It may be Blunt, but its the truth. I dought you'll find out more than that, unless the loco did something famous in is operating career.

Loco10

cct

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look around.

CCT

Dr EMD

Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

finderskeepers

I hate to break this to you, but 4449 is not the only surviving GS engine, as 4460 survives today also. Have a look at the picture.

Quote from: Locomotive10 on April 15, 2007, 12:51:49 AM
Well,

The 4446 suffered the fate of all other GS engines. .

Loco10

BIG BEAR

I'm sure alot of items get missed or are not reported, but try this site for steam loco. info.
     Enjoy
         http://www.steamlocomotive.com/lists/

It seems that the only two GS locos, still in existance are the 4449 & 4460
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

daylightfan

and the only one still operational is the 4449, and what a beauty it is to see chuffing and puffing! :) :)
There is a great book out called "Southern Pacific Daylight Steam Locomotives", by Kenneth G. Johnsen and published by Traintech. There is a picture of 4446 with a wrecked nose on page 99.
The 4446 rearended the Lark when it was only a few months old, at Wellsona, Ca. on Sept. 19, 1941. The Lark had made an unscheduled stop. And although it looked totalled, it was rebuilt and put back into service.

adari

Quote from: daylightfan on December 27, 2007, 01:56:45 AM
and the only one still operational is the 4449, and what a beauty it is to see chuffing and puffing! :) :)
There is a great book out called "Southern Pacific Daylight Steam Locomotives", by Kenneth G. Johnsen and published by Traintech. There is a picture of 4446 with a wrecked nose on page 99.
The 4446 rearended the Lark when it was only a few months old, at Wellsona, Ca. on Sept. 19, 1941. The Lark had made an unscheduled stop. And although it looked totalled, it was rebuilt and put back into service.
Quote from: finderskeepers on April 20, 2007, 12:28:13 AM
I hate to break this to you, but 4449 is not the only surviving GS engine, as 4460 survives today also. Have a look at the picture.

Well,

The 4446 suffered the fate of all other GS engines. .

Loco10
Well,

The 4449 is the sole survivor of the GS-4 Class. That is why you can find lots of info on it.

The 4446 suffered the fate of all other GS engines. It was scrapped and was turned in to soup cans, can openers, and washing machines.

It may be Blunt, but its the truth. I dought you'll find out more than that, unless the loco did something famous in is operating career.

Loco10

The 4446 was not immeidiatly scraped. They first redid the engine in the American Freedom train. I will check the video I have on it.

RAM

The 4449 pulled the  American Freedom train.  The 4446 was long gone by this time.

GlennW

You may find some good books on SP Steam Power, etc. There's a lot of good railroad reference material available.

japasha

As lenn pointed out, there are a lot of books on SP Motive Power. There is one book for $25 or so that is a paperback that is about Southern Pacific Daylight Locomotives. It has a good pictorial and many of the GS class locomotives besides the Daylights. Ron's Books carries it.

Yukonsam

Hi

The SP Steam Locomotive Compendium by Diebert and Strapac (Shade tree books) has lots of information.

About 4446 : Built 1941, lost it skirts in 1950 and retired 1958.
                      Scrapped 1959.

The 4460 is a GS-6 and was donatedto the National Museum of Transportation, St. Louis in 1959.

Regards, Yukonsam