News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

QUESTIONS BEFORE I BUY A 2-6-0

Started by Seaboard Air Line Fan, November 11, 2009, 06:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seaboard Air Line Fan

I'm trying to decide if I want to get the Mogul, but I have some questions before I do.  I've been asking on the OGR forum but thought I'd fire away here too:

1) Is the 2-6-0 DCC Ready? I suspect not, so how easy is it to convert to DCC Ready at a future date?

2) I see Bachmann sells a working front coupler/pilot (29908), is that necessary or is it a simple matter of putting in your own coupler?

3) How is the 2-6-0 non-DCC slow speed performance? If I can't perform switching I'd be wasting my $$$

4) What needs to be done to a DCC Ready or DCC equipped engine to make them run on a regular DC power supply?

5) Is there anything I'm not asking that I should LOL?!?!?!

Thanks,
Bob

JohnR

Bob -

1) The 2-6-0 is not DCC ready.  The process of adding a DCC decoder isn't too bad provided that you are comfortable doing some surgery to the loco's wiring.

2) Yes, Bachmann has replacement pilots with working couplers.  There are other sources as well.  It may be that the next run of Moguls will have these new pilots but I haven't seen this confirmed anywhere.

3) I think the Mogul's slow speed DC performance will be a bit dependent on your DC controller.  Mine behave reasonably well (for me) at slow speed.

4) DCC Ready means that it is ready for a DCC decoder but doesn't have one (the connection points are jumpered for DC operation).  A DCC equipped loco has a DCC decoder installed.  Most current production DCC decoders have an analog (DC) mode.  Worst case, you might need to have your local hobby show enable the analog mode for you.

-John

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Thanks John, just what I was looking for!

Bob

jestor

Keep in mind that the Mogul was Bachmann's very first ON-30 loco. It's not DCC ready which means it has to taken apart and hardwired for DCC install.  It does not have pick up on the tender like all of the later releases, resulting in less than stellar performance on even slightly dirty track. Unless you are capable of doing the work required to bring it up to the performance level of the later(all rod locos) versions, I wouldn't recommend it. All of the later rod locos are DCC equipped(with dual mode decoders to run on DC also) and all have working front couplers as well. Bottom line here is that the Mogul (as it comes from the manufacturer) cannot compete with any of the later locos's performance. All of Bachmann's DCC equipped locos run fine on DC. On DC they have a higher starting voltage than a regular DC loco due to the decoder. But that's cool too, the headlight comes up bright before the loco begins to move.  Look at the Mogul as a starter set loco......because that's what it is......that's what you get.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Thanks Mike!

I think I'll hold off a while.  I'd like to see an ON30 engine up close before I buy and so far I haven't found any at my LHS.

I've been wanting to get into O scale 2-rail but the radii are too big for my space, that's why I've been looking at ON30.  I have a 3-rail layout and will stick with that until I figure out if ON30 is the right way to go.

Bob

ScottyB

Yeah, most LHSs don't carry On30.  I think it is the 2006 On30 annual that has an article on how to DCC a Mogul.  Might have to order it direct, I can't imagine any LHS carrying it anymore.

I was thinking of 2-rail O scale as well, but I only like steam engines, and the cost of them in 2-rail O are outrageous.  I could have a dozen On30 locomotives for the cost of one standard O scale steam.

If you are a 3-railer, the biggest thing that will surprise you about On30 is the size.  The equipment is no where near the size of its standard gauge kin.  Narrow gauge equipment was smaller due to the narrower rails - think of a balancing act - the wider apart the supports, the taller you can make something.  Dimension-wise, On30 is about the same as S scale.

Still, the ability for tighter curves, and the bulk of O scale scenery is fantastic next to the On30 trains.

Scott
On30 for me, N scale for my son.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Scott,

Thanks!  I think you answered one of my main questions about the size.  I was picturing this huge O scale engine teetering on HO running gear, top heavy to be sure!!!

I have a couple of O gauge boxcars that are close to S scale so I have a fair picture in my mind now.  I still want to see an ON30 engine up close and we have a train show in Richmond Va in December and one in VA. Beach in February so I'll try mking it to at least one of them.

Linzthom

Bob,

Be warned. On30 is very addictive. Once bitten......... well, just be warned. Ok?  ;D ;D ;D ;)

Ah !!!!!!! The freedom. The fun. The great comrades.

Ciao for now

Lindsay

I'm going to live forever; or die trying

Jim Banner

I have a small collection of MARX 3/16 tin plate trains.
Along the way, I have acquired some Lionel trains, scaled 3/4 of full 0-scale.
And an American Flyer set wandered in from somewhere.

All these trains are 1/64 of full size.  And all of them would easily pass for 0n30, except for the trucks.  But none of them have the detail and smooth running of Bachmann's 0n30.

I have two 0n30 2-6-0's and they run very nicely.  I have added decoders to both of them, a Digitrax DH123 in one and a Tsunami DSD1000 in the other.  The running characteristics with the Tsunami are superb.  With the BEMF control turned on and tuned up, you can run the locomotive from tie to tie with ten stops in between.  Next step is to replace the DH123 with a DH165 to get BEMF control in the other 2-6-0 and to let me try a Digitrax Sound Bug.  If this 2-6-0 runs as well as the one with the Tsunami, I will be very happy, even if the sound is not quite as good.

Adding power pickups to the tender wheels is relatively easy using Kadee coupler centering springs,  I think it was Harold had that on his website before he took it down.  The advantage is that you get power pickup from all 8 tender wheels, not just four of them, and that is a big step up when it comes to low speed switching.  My only concerns about using one of them as a switcher is whether to replace the front coupler with a working one or with one locked open so that I can also use the locomotive as a pusher; and whether or not to remove the pony truck to make it an 0-6-0.

I have already scratch built a tender light for the switcher.  I like tender lights because they make it instantly obvious which way the tender is set to move without having to look at the throttle.

As Lindsay has already said, these little fellows are addictive. 

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Lindsay and Jim, Thanks!

It sounds like an out-of-the-box Mogul will run as well as my MTH 3-rail RailKing 2-8-0 with locosound does, maybe better.  If that's the case this is a no brainer!!!

Bob

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Well,

I went to order the Mogul at MicroMark and it's backordered  :( so I'm holding off until I see they have one actually in stock  ::)

bobwrgt

If you just want to see one very cheap use ebay. Do a search for Hawthorn Village. Most pepople don't know that they are the Bachmann Moguls. I managed to get one for $25.00 with shipping brand new. You can alway repaint it later for your own railroad.

Bob

mabloodhound

Bob is right on.   I found a number of the 'Hawthorn' ones for $35-50 and even with cars.   The sellers don't even know what they are selling so you have to know your product and bid accordingly.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security