News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Accessing Bachmann Acela Motor

Started by mlrr, January 12, 2010, 07:23:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlrr

I need to gain access to the motor under the weights and lube some of the contacts down there.  Can someone tell me how to do this safely?

Thanks!
~Kyle
The Mary Lindsay Railroad - Featuring Amtrak Model Trains
www.marylindsayrr.vze.com

Joe Satnik

Dear mlrr,

Here is David Harrison's website:

http://web.mac.com/msibnsf/iWeb/Acela%20Express,%20The%20Need%20For%20Speed/Modeling%20Techniques.html

Loco disassembly is about 5/8 of the way down the page. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

mlrr

Thanks for the reply. 

I've been aware of this website resource for almost ten years; however, the tutorial does not go beyond removing the shell from the body.  I need to get under the actual motor weight to get to the motor itself

The "Bach-Man's" input would be helpful too.

Thanks again!

Kyle

~Kyle

the Bach-man

Hi, Kyle-
I have never taken one apart. Give service a call and see what they have to say.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

r0bert

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/81945.pdf
2 screws, one at front on top near the light box, one under the board in the rear

mlrr

Thanks gentlemen!  I found it!  Unfortunately I went through all this trouble for nothing as after I lubed what I thought were the trouble spots, the only improvement I noticed was that the Acela lurched at a lower speed (i.e. 0 - 25 in 1 sec as opposed to 0 - 50 in the same time frame) lol.

Keep in mind, this is an issue that I had with the Acela set since I first had it, I just wasn't as anal about having the smooth start-ups then like I am now.

Thanks again for your help guys!
~Kyle

r0bert

remove capacitors from across motor leads.