News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

44 ton shell swap

Started by OldRocky, March 03, 2010, 12:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldRocky

Can you just swap the shells on the 44-tonner between the two-motor and single-motor versions?  Thanks for your help on this.

OldRocky

Sorry - forgot to say I'm talking about the HO scale G.E. 44-ton loco.

rich1998

I vaguely recall that you can swap them. I had a two motor some months ago and I now have two single motor versions.
I had to send the two motor back to Bachmann since it developed a cracked gear. I got a single motor DCC ready in return.
If you ever want an old time Climax steam locomotive, the MDC Climax shell will fit the 44 ton frame. A little modification of the truck side frames is needed. You can find the shell on ebay at times. I still have an unused Climax shell to be used some day.

lex

Stephen D. Richards

lexon, Really!  I wouldn't have guessed that one.  I have several Climax trucks for HO and I have more 44 tonners than I really need. (Got carried away last summer)  I really like the 44 tonners.  First locomotive I ever engineered!  Long story, I'm not a loco engineer ....yet!  I would be interested in any information you have on converting 44 ton frame to Climax.  My personal email is richards@meer.net if you are interested in sharing the info.  Sincerely,  Stephen

rich1998

Quote from: lexon on March 03, 2010, 01:27:28 PM
I vaguely recall that you can swap them. I had a two motor some months ago and I now have two single motor versions.
I had to send the two motor back to Bachmann since it developed a cracked gear. I got a single motor DCC ready in return.
If you ever want an old time Climax steam locomotive, the MDC Climax shell will fit the 44 ton frame. A little modification of the truck side frames is needed. You can find the shell on ebay at times. I still have an unused Climax shell to be used some day.

lex

Ok, here is a start. Everyone, store the link. There is a lot of good data here. Some Spectrum stuff also.

http://gearedsteam.blogspot.com/2009/09/mdc-boxcab.html

http://gearedsteam.blogspot.com/2009_09_25_archive.html

I will email you some more photos I found for the Climax from this guy in another forums. I cannot remember where right now.
He uses only the cab from a 44 ton and fits it in the Climax shell.

Lex