News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Rerailers

Started by orangeman, January 30, 2010, 11:11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

I'm setting up track today and have 2 - straight 9" and 2 - 18" curved rerailers.

Are there any general guidelines on where to place the rerailers?

jonathan

I placed mine in what I considered to be 'hard to reach' areas (a few on each loop).  I figured the rerailers might give me a little help in the most difficult places.  Food for thought.

Regards,

Jonathan

ebtbob

Sometimes it is good to have rerailers near turnouts,  the place most derailments are likely to happen on your railroad.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

BradKT

Always have at least one straight rerailer right in front of where the operator is going to be.  I have two there.  That way, is will be easy to put cars on the track without having to go all around the layout just to put some cars on the track.

If you have (or plan) a large layout, put a rerailer near each end of the straight track in the back.  Non-terminal rerailers are relatively cheap and you can always get a few more if you need them.  There's no such thing as having too many.  Put them where it is most convenient for you...otherwise, you will find yourself doing a lot of unnecessary walking around your layout just to put a car or two back on the rails.

pdlethbridge

I also put them where roads are going so the act as cross overs.

Jhanecker2

Morning All:  they also recommend installing rerailers just inside tunnels to make more sure that derailments don't happen just out of sight.    Nothing is 100% , Heissenburg Uncertaincy Principle applies whereever Murphy's Laws operate . John II

hotrainlover

I put rerailers on each end of my bridges.  I have a 54" curved trestle over a gorge, (Yes I cannot reach it), that I would hate to have my engines fall into.  I put a curved retailer at the connecting ends.  They are not able to be seen and work beautifully.  You need to place these rerailers as you lay track.  It was harded to later add them.