CAN YOU RUN DCC EQUIPPED LOCOS ON DC POWERED TRACK?

Started by twojags, February 02, 2010, 07:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twojags

DCC is all a bit of a mystery to me and I would like to know whether it is safe to run a DCC Equipped HO locomotive on conventional DC powered track. I think this must be a frequently asked question by novices like me but I could not find the answer when I searched the forum. Thank you in advance for any advice on the subject.
John

jonathan

John,

Welcome!

I run a conventional DC layout.  I have a couple of Bachmann DCC equipped locos that I run on a regular basis.  Bachmann DCC locos are set up to accept DC, usually right out of the box.  So far, I have had no issues.

DCC equipped locos tend to run a little slower than DC locos.  The decoder eats up a couple of volts.  This is perfectly normal.

Regards,

Jonathan

ABC

Many DCC locos are unable to run in DC because they do not have a dual mode decoder, however most now are equipped with dual mode decoders. Also, DCC locos usually (not always) will not run as well as they do on DCC. Some locos with dual mode decoders require you to manually toggle between analog and digital mode by moving a jumper.

rich1998

The throttle most probably will have to be turned up a little higher than normal for a DC only loco before the loco starts to move. 
If you run DCC sound locos on DC, you will have a few basic sounds but no control over the sounds.
Also, the sounds will start before the loco begins to move
Not an issue if no sound locos.

lex

njsckyusa

Is this true also with Bachman Spectrum HO trains?  According to what I read, will the Spectrum DCC be like my Broadway Blueline where at about 40 mph on my MRC DC transformer the loco starts up?  Thanks for any info. Njsckyusa

ABC

rich1998

Quote from: njsckyusa on February 02, 2010, 12:41:17 PM
Is this true also with Bachman Spectrum HO trains?  According to what I read, will the Spectrum DCC be like my Broadway Blueline where at about 40 mph on my MRC DC transformer the loco starts up?  Thanks for any info. Njsckyusa

The speed indication a DC controller is a very rough estimate and really not any kind of useful speed indication. I only used a DC voltmeter to estimate when the loco would start moving. Usually in the area of 7 to 9 volts DC which might be half throttle on the DC controller.
Most people have no idea the the NMRA came up with the idea of using dual mode decoders and it would be hardly the second best way of controlling DCC equipped locos. It is definitely a compromise but model railroading is all about compromises.
A lot depends on the DC contoller design. I have two different DC contollers I built and both act different. I only did this for testing the dual mode capability.
I always use a NCE Power Cab.

lex