News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Older Spectrum Fairbanks Morse H16-44

Started by jld, February 12, 2010, 05:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jld

I have an older H16-44, (at least I think that's what it is as I accidentally threw the box away long ago).  The problem is that I've finally started my layout and had come across this locomotive and have tried to run it, but it derails every time it goes through any number 4 Atlas switch, but only when run in one direction.  Its kind of like it just drops off to the inside of the curved rail.  If I flip it around, it goes through just fine.  No other loco that I have does this nor do any of my freight cars, and I've got one that just loves to derail at the drop of a hat.  This loco is the only one that is having a problem.  The switch is in gauge as well as the spacing on the wheels of the loco.  It looks like the switch is level and nothing in the flange way to cause any problems.  I am starting to think that there may be a problem with the one particular truck, but I am at a loss as to what it could be?  Since mine is of the Santa Fe Zebra stripe pattern and that particular paint job is no longer in production, I suppose that I could purchase a similar loco and just switch shells if I had to, but I would like to figure out what is going on with this unit.  Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

pdlethbridge

I followed this article for the installation of DCC into my unit.
http://www.members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/tmaster/tmaster.html
The thing I had the most trouble with are the pick up rings shown in figure 5. They are on both sides of each truck to get the electricity to the motor. I misplaced and bent 1 and the engine kept derailing. Could that be the problem you're having?

jonathan

I have two of those locos, and like them a lot.  I did have to reposition a pick up ring on one of them.  I believe it was installed incorrectly at the factory.

However,... the problem you describe reminds me of a problem I had a while back with an uncooperative engine moving through a switch.  The problem turned out to be a coupler trip pin that was a little low.  The trip pin was catching the divergent rail and derailing the front truck.  Raised the trip pin and no more problems.  I mention it because it took me a long time to figure out.

Just another thing you might want to take a look at.

Regards,

Jonathan

jld

Thanks guys, I had checked the coupler pin and it was OK, but I will take a closer look and the pickup rings.