News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Obsessed with Heavy Metal

Started by jonathan, March 20, 2010, 07:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdlethbridge

Looking, listening and watching should be something that is also done. For an example. My sd45 spectrum had a very unusual habit of rocking once during changes of direction. After looking, listening and watching, I noticed the motor was turning in its plastic bracket, not much but enough to rock the engine once in a direction change. A couple of paper shims between the metal frame and motor solved the problem. The motor was loose enough to turn 5-10 degrees and when it stopped, it would rock the engine.

Woody Elmore

Jon - Some Pennsy fans will find those "Beano" decals on a Pennsy tender very unsettling. The Varney tender is a little closer in design to the actual G-5 tenders.

As for the comment that Mantua was better than Tyco - it depends on which time period the engine was manufactured. I haven't seen a very late model but I was told that near the end they stopped using those "u" shaped driver bearings.

Re: an enclosed gear box /cover plate - the original Mantua engines had a dc-71 motor and an enclosed gearbox. I doubt that the retainer plate would fit the later open frame models.

jonathan

Wow!

I appreciate what you've done here.  For reasons I cannot get into here, don't have time for a proper response.  Will get back to you in a few days.

Thanks a million!

Woody,  don't worry the tender and and loco will be properly Pennsi-fied (sp)!

V/R,

Jon

RAM

I think it was Tyco that stopped using those "u" shaped driver bearings.

jonathan

J3a-614,

I really appreciate the time you took to share some great tips for those of us who seem to be hopelessly lost in resurrecting old metal engines.  I took the family on a trip, during Spring Break, and didn't want to advertise that I wasn't home to the whole world.  Made it back safe and the trains survived my absence. :)

I enjoyed your philosophy the most.  Patience and time seem to be the hardest commodities in any undertaking, but oh so important.

My work bench stands just a little shy of 50".  I stand while I work.  It seems to help me concentrate/focus a little better.  Also, it is great 'elbow' height, as you mentioned.

As far as building goes,  I will be revisiting your tips when I get the valve gear for my Li'l Joe.  That will be some delicate work indeed.

I will be attempting to tweak the noises in the near future (on the Mikado).  As mentioned before, the most noise is just wheels on the rails.  The other noises are faint, not annoying, but it will be fun to see how quiet I can get this baby.

Many thanks for your lessons.

Regards,

Jonathan

J3a-614

Again, I must thank you for your kind words.

I don't know if you've seen this thread, but if you haven't, here are some other old-style things for reference and in some cases to keep your old engines company.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,12480.0.html

After all, model railroaders do not live by locomotives alone!

jonathan

Not to worry, my friend, I've been reading along with the rest of the class.

J3a-614