News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Have problem with DCC locomotive

Started by jjanseni, April 06, 2010, 01:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjanseni

I have cleaned the tracks, put a little oil on the wheels and cleaned them as much as possible, tested track (it has 12+ VAC, all 4 sets of wheels have resistance but the train will not start. It acts like it is getting one second of voltage but goes no where. I have reporgrammed the function key from 3 to 1 and still nothing. I reset it by pressing 3 and the stop button and then 1 and then the stop button. Is there a reset button that I am not aware of one the train or on the control? I am willing to send it in for repair but not sure if the locomotive needs to be repaired or the controller? Any suggestions are appreciated. I also have no lights coming on the locomotive when I press F10. Also, I do not have another locomotive to test with but guess I could purcahse another one if that is the only way to test??? Thanks

ABC

Are you sure you reprogrammed it to address 1, it could still be on address 3, or more importantly if it is not a Bachmann locomotive, who is the manufacturer of your locomotive? And are you sure it has a decoder, DCC ready or DCC quick plug equipped does not mean it has a decoder.

jjanseni

Yes, it is a Bachmann DCC locomotive and came with the controller. It worked when we first got it but is not working now. Since I cannot get the train to move, I am not sure I have programmed it to 1 or 3. Was just trying to move it to another programmed key to see if I could get it going. IT is almost like the decoder has lost it way and it does not know what to do.

Chris350

sounds to me like it's not addressed to 1.  May still be on 3, tyr that and see what happens.  There has to be a universal reset.  Not knowing enough about your controller, a basic Bachmann set I suspect, I can't say what it is.  A standard DCC controller will normally use sett CV-8 to value of 8 and enter.  You could try that if you have access to another controller.  That might cause more confusion than it helps though.  Check the documents with the set and see what it specifies for resetting the loco to its default address. That should be 03 by standard.  Once you've got it back to address 03 than you can walk through the address assignment steps again.

jjanseni

E-Z Command® Control Center with wall pack and plug-in wiring
Bachmann EMD FT locomotive (Santa Fe)

jjanseni

I finally got it to work. I was doing one thing wrong. You have to take the locomotive off the track to reassign the loco a new address as it had somehow lost the address 3 from the factory. Thanks for steering me in that direction. It was in the manual but hard to find. I have highlighted that paragraph. The wheels were also still dirty and that added to the issue.