Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Defective Spectrum 2-8-0

Started by Bo_Diddley, April 20, 2010, 05:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bo_Diddley

>:(

Hey all,

I purchased a Spectrum 2-8-0 two weeks ago, and after running it for awhile for the initial break-in period, the unit has exhibited serious problems. After only a few hours, locomotive started losing power and eventually seized up. Headlight burns very dimly. The loco also emits a peculiar odor almost resembling burning plastic... Lubrication provided no help. Upon closer examination, motor seems frozen or bound up.  The gears appear intact, but it's too hard to tell.  I've tried various troubleshooting techniques, all to no avail.

Out of curiosity, has anyone else received a bad 2-8-0 and sent it back for repair/replacement?  This is my first experience with the Spectrum line, and so far I'm less than impressed....  FWIW, I have sent the loco back.  Just wondering if I did get a bad unit and whether or not Bachmann will make good on the repair/replacement.

Regards,
Brad

Atlantic Central

Brad,

Make a copy of your purchase receipt, write a short note discribing the problem, and mail the loco to the service address listed in your paper work or on this web site.

They will take care of it for you, rest assured. They are very good about the warranty.

I have over 30 Spectrum steam locos including 8 copies of the 2-8-0. out of my whole gorup of 30+ I have had to send back three, non of which were 2-8-0's. In evey case they send a new loco that ran perfectly.

The only down side is sometimes they are a little slow. The service department staff is small, and they work hard to give everyone very personal service - once they get to your loco. But again, they will make it good.

All my Spectrum steamers are good running and good looking locos. Sorry you got a bad one - it does happen from time to time.

Sheldon

Bo_Diddley

Thanks, Sheldon.  Reading these forums has given me great confidence that Bachmann will take care in making sure I get a good replacement.  For the record, I model mostly Athearn/Atlas/Intermountain, but the Spectrum steamers sure look nice...  I strongly suspect the motor has shorted out--which would explain the "burning" smell, and why the headlight barely comes on.  I should also add that it tripped my power supply too, which strongly suggests an electrical fault/malfunction somewhere in the unit.

Thanks again.  Will keep everyone advised as to the situation.

-Brad

Atlantic Central

Brad,

Are you running DC or DCC?

Is the loco DC or DCC?

Sheldon

Bo_Diddley

Just DC for now.  Not really going for DCC yet...  I still don't think the "bugs" have been ironed out for DCC.

Clear Block

I Too have bought a Bachmann 2-8-0 Ex Spectrum now "Standard" Line
B&O ENG 2784 and the engine right out of the box had problems, The engine sises up and stalls out. It's defiantly a motor problem or so I believe.
This unit came DCC Equipped.
Now It's sitting in it's box waiting for me to get funding together to send it back to Bachmann.
This may be due to the new type motors installed since they downgraded the model to the "Standard" Line.
Bachmann, What's this going to cost me to replace a factory defective engine?
I know Bachmann makes some nice steam engines, I have several K4's and they run flawlessly I absolutely love them!

Bo_Diddley

Mine ran fine right out of the box, it was only after a few hours that my problems started.  First it started off as a "grinding" noise, kind of like the gears were stripped or it needed a serious lube job.  Took the bottom plate off and there was PLENTY of lubrication on all moving parts...  After trying again, the unit ran slower and slower until BOOM-she just quit dead in her tracks--literally.  Nothing. Nada. Zilch.  Not even the faintest buzzing sound coming from it.  The headlight went really dim and the "overload" protector tripped on my power supply...

Strange.  I'm wondering just how widespread this issue is, and whether or not it is confined to a specific batch of bad units that somehow slipped by quality control?  We'll see when I get the loco back.

-Brad

Clear Block

Mine pretty much did the same thing, just right out of the box.

Bo_Diddley

If it's fairly new--return it.  That's what I did.  It's 100% covered under the warranty for the first year.  Providing of course you've saved your receipt.  If not, you'll have to fork over some dough unless you sent in the warranty card, which I had no time to do since the unit failed early.

I was discussing this with a modeler on another forum and he told me this much:  Either these things will work right out of the box, or they won't.  It's as simple as that.  IOW, if the loco works fine and gets through the initial "break-in" period without any problems, then you're in good shape.  If not, send it back.  We pay good money for these things and should be treated accordingly.

-Brad

ABC

These are probably fairly isolated incidents. I got yet another 2-8-0 and the total is up to six and I have yet to have any issues, and my Bachmann loco count is well over 60 locos now and I have had a total of 3 issues among all of them, all of which have been rectified in a timely manner. My issues were with an Erie 2-10-0 decapod, a 4-8-4 GS-4 SP Daylight, and a UP 0-6-0 with Vandy tender. All were repaired or replaced and run great.
As long as you folks bought your locos from factory authorized dealers you will be able to return them to Bachmann within the 1st year of ownership provided it was not due to your actions and you are considered the 1st owner. For example, if you bought the loco from many dealers on ebay excluding places like the favorite spot then it technically is not fully covered but will be repaired for a nominal fee for the lifetime of the loco and the original owner. Call your dealer or even better call Bachmann service for more information and what your options are at this time.

Also as a side note the warranty card in itself is not sufficient at least that is what the service guy said when I sent in my GS-4, he said I still needed to include a copy of my receipt of purchase.

bruceallen123

For the record, I too had issues with my 2-8-0 right out of the box.  Western Pacific 2-8-0  Item#11421.  Same problem that Diddley mentioned.  Ran for about 30 minutes and she lost power and seized up. The gears sounded like a coffee grinder too.  Anyway, I returned it to Bachmann who sent me a brand new one 4 weeks later and so far, so good.  Interesting.  Let me know how things go when you get your engine back.

Bo_Diddley

I'm wondering if perhaps, just perhaps, we got an early run of the 2-8-0's that may have "gone bad" just by sitting on the shelf?  I see that all Bachmann 2-8-0's are now DCC equipped.  Mine wasn't...

ABC

Brad, you received very old stock because they have had DCC for quite a long time.

Bo_Diddley

Bingo... I suspected as much.  So, if Bachmann sends me a new DCC unit, exactly what(if anything)do I need to do to run it with DC?

ABC

Here's something to consider, the current 2-8-0 and the former 2-8-0  are not the same product. Similar to how there is an 0-6-0 that is DC and a 0-6-0 that is DCC that are currently being produced. For some really really old items Bachmann does not replace them with their newer, modern, state of the art counterpart, sometimes they will replace them with say a GP-40. So, if you bought a non-DCC unit you may receive a non-DCC unit in return and they will attempt to repair your original unit first before sending you a new replacement.
Brad what store did you buy this loco from? Was it brick and mortar or online? If the store you bought it from is not a factory authorized dealer then your product is not under the full warranty and you would have to pay a nominal fee of $25 for service.