News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Support those buses!

Started by CNE Runner, May 09, 2010, 11:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNE Runner

I thought I would pass along a lesson I just learned (relearned?) regarding the support required for electrical wire buses. The Monks' Island Brewery/Railway is some 60" long with one support at the mid point. You can view all the images I have taken (OK, OK...I know they are dated; but I haven't had the time to post new ones) at:
One of the shots (p. 2) has a view of the underside of the layout.

When I wired the layout I used my usual 12 ga. household (Romex) wiring - preferring to err on the side of too much...rather than too little (12 ga is overkill on a layout this small). I relied on the center layout support to take the strain off the 18 ga feed wires. Early in the week, I noticed that the Plymouth stalled repeatedly on the Peco Electrofrog turnout before the brewery transfer tables (nothing stalls on Peco Electrofrog track elements)...which told me I had a major problem. Perhaps the Plymouth had grunge on the wheels or the axle-to-frame bearing point? To test this theory I railed the Trackmobile and lo' it also would not negotiate that turnout either!

A closer inspection reveled a broken connection between one of the feeders and the bus wire (at the rail - point side of the turnout). Before fixing this problem I wanted to know what caused the occurrence in the first place (if you don't determine the cause of a problem it is apt to repeat itself later on). I noticed a distinct 'droop' in the bus wires. Apparently this put undue strain on the feeder wires - causing the shortest one to separate.

I lengthend the feeder wire and reattached it. THEN I installed wire clamps on several places along the buss wire. The moral of this story is to provide ample support for that under-layout wiring. Luckily my little layout is easy to work on...imagine it being a room-sized pike?

Hopefully I have alerted you to a potential problem.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Nigel

Normally, Romex is supported every 16" to 24"......your experience shows why.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

pdlethbridge

When I put in the feeder wires to the bus I made sure there was plenty of slack, 1 to make corrections if needed, and 2, to prevent breakage. It will eventually be covered with skirting.

I see that on your layout you just don't have the room. Might I suggest covering the underside with luan plywood to prevent any wires from getting pulled loose and hiding any long wires.

Jim Banner

For another approach to undertable wiring, here is what I have under my Lorraine Valley & James River Railway:

For a larger view, click on this link:

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/underwire

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

pdlethbridge

and I thought mine was messy! ;D ;D

CNE Runner

Pdlethbridge - Luan plywood covering on the underside...why didn't I think of that? Your suggestion would make it a whole lot safer to transport the layout as well as providing support for the wiring AND protection for the SPDT switches...great idea - 'will do!

Jim, I noticed that 3rd blue wire from the outside is coming loose. BTW: Did you find my wallet under there?

Nigel - You are correct and wire of this gauge should be supported frequently. Ah, live and learn.

Cheers,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

pdlethbridge

No wallet, but he did find my car keys! ;D ;D

Jim Banner

Sorry, no wallets, no keys, but I did find an electrician who went missing back in the 70's.  Seems he got a little too wrapped up in his work.

Jim

PS to PD - this is the part of my layout that generates MY headaches!  It is not the wiring failures - they just don't happen.  It is the memory failures - trying to remember what wires go where and what they do when they get there.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.