News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-6-2 question...

Started by CabooseX204, May 28, 2010, 10:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CabooseX204

What is the minumum radius track a 2-6-6-2 (HO scale) loco can negotiate without climbing the rails, etc.???

Thanks...

Bob

ABC

22", but it doesn't look good I'd suggest you use flex track to make radius of 30"+ for best appearances and more reliable running.

J3a-614

I laid out a tiny Christmas layout with what I would estimate to be 18" radius, and my H-5 (USRA variant) had no problems, although you have to use the long-drawbar position in the drawbar.  Both prototype and model actually can negotiate sharper curves that some overall smaller locomotives, such as a USRA 2-8-2, because the rigid wheelbase is shorter (3 driving axles in each engine on the 2-6-6-2 with a prototypical wheelbase of 10 feet with 57" drivers vs. 4 driving axles and and a wheelbase of about 16' 6" with 63" drivers under the 2-8-2).  The Bachmann model also has both engines swiveling, like diesel trucks, which is a compromise as much for manufacturing as anything else; the prototype Mallets had the rear engine rigid in relation to the boiler, while the front engine was pivoted with what amounted to a very large hinge to the rear engine, with sliding supports to transfer weight to the front engine.

Of course, a larger radius looks a good deal better, and often that larger radius isn't really that much larger!  I also very strongly recommend "easement" (graduated) curves, in which the curve gradually gets sharper from straight track to the final curve dimension; both prototypes and models appreciate not having to go directly to curved track, and the appearance improves dramatically.  Minimum easement length is about that of the longest equipment that will  negotiate the curve, such as a passenger car.

CabooseX204

GN.2-6-8-0

SP 3937 my new 2-6-6-2 from Bachmann Looks pretty good comin'round the bend   ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6JZggW4Mac
Rocky Lives

jonathan

Beautiful!

But could you do us all a favor and build your layout a little larger?  ;D ;D ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

Doneldon

GN.2-6-8-0

O.k went and got the magic make'r bigger tool out of my tool box  :D  :D

Rocky Lives

Doneldon

Pretty, pretty, pretty.  And BIG, BIG, BIG.

GN.2-6-8-0

Quote from: Doneldon on May 31, 2010, 08:02:15 PM
Pretty, pretty, pretty.  And BIG, BIG, BIG.

Yeh' its about 20X60 also double decked with the staging yards below.
Rocky Lives

Pacific Northern

I have a couple of the Spectrum 2-6-6-2's and they are fantastic runners.

Due to the two separate sets of driving wheels this engine is able to traverse 18" radius curves. Overall, the length of this engine is just about the same size as the 2-10-2.

Contrary to remarks made on this thread there is very little overhang on this engine, even on 18" radius tracks.  You will have no problem with this engine on 22" radius tracks.
Pacific Northern

ABC

Quote from: Pacific Northern on May 31, 2010, 11:21:11 PMContrary to remarks made on this thread there is very little overhang on this engine, even on 18" radius tracks.
Overhang is subjective what is acceptable to one may not be acceptable to another. And remember when you get Bachmann steam locos, it's like getting a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get...you've had the best of luck and I've had the worst of luck. Maybe my 2-6-6-2 just doesn't like me, but it did not like 18's at my LHS when I test ran it, but it ran fine on 22's at my LHS, but I think it looks a lot better on my layout at home, where it doesn't have any overhang (my curves would only be an issue for perhaps the pickiest of brass locos).

Pacific Northern

ABC

I agree, you just do not seem to have much luck with running steamers on 18" radius track.

Did you read the write up on the 2-6-6-2 in MR? They commented on its being able to negotiate 18", then again the 2-10-2 the tested also ran on 18" radius track.

If I remember correctly you also had problems running a Spectrum 2-10-0 on your 18" radius track. You are the only one I ever heard who had problems with a Spectrum Russian.

As I stated before I managed to eliminate the 18" radius track from my main layout and the layout certainly looks better for it.  Now just have 18" on my test track/workbench.

Pacific Northern

ABC

I doesn't really matter to me if they run on 18" radius or not because my minimum radius is 24" and around 30" or so on my mainlines. If I buy them at my LHS, I use the test tracks, one has 15" radius, one has 18" radius, one has 22" radius, and one has 24" radius. So this way it's easy to figure out exactly what radius is required for your particular loco. I set up some old 18" radius sectional track in the basement this morning and to my surprise the 2-6-6-2 and 2-10-0 had no problems, but my 4-8-4, 4-8-2, 2-8-4, 2-10-2, 2-10-4, all still did not cooperate; however, my Mantua 2-6-6-2 ran fine. Who knew there was so much luck involved in model railroading?