News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

3 Truck Shay G Scale with DC/DCC Sound

Started by wazzas, June 18, 2010, 08:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wazzas

I have just received from Trainworld my 3 Truck Shay with DC/DCC/ Sound on Board (#82697)  with Loco setting #3.
I want to run this Loco on my LGB MTS Layout, however,when placed on the track, the Shay's front, rear lights & fire box light up OK, but NO movement forward or rear is possible. I have checked all settings but still no movement.
In desperation, I place my LGB V200 Loco, also with setting #3 on the track and to my surprise the Shay comes to life with sound and movement!!!!
Both trains move OK, but when I remove the LGB V200, and after about 15 seconds of non-movement, the Shay goes to sleep again. Place the LGB V200 back on the track, the Shay regains sound and movement.
I am wondering why the Shay doesn't work on the track by itself???

Doneldon

wazzas -

Shays were known for being very emotional.  Perhaps this one is just so lonely that it can't even bear to move without a companion.  This kind of dependency bespeaks the need for mental health services.

-- D

the Bach-man

Dear Wazzas,
The LGB MTS system does not conform to DCC, so it's not surprising that it won't work. The company that made MTS decoders is still in business; perhaps they'll have an idea on how to use one with the other.
http://www.massoth.com/index.usa.html
Have fun!
the Bach-man

wazzas

the Bach-man

Thank you for info on LGB MTS System. As a result of your details, it appears the Shay is operating in DC mode which the LGB MTS system does support providing the volts to the Shay is less than 18V. Tests show voltage to the track, without trains, is 23V with current LGB transformer. Maybe a new adjustable transformer will solve operation in DC mode.

StanAmes

Two issues lets take them one at a time.  Your system puts out 24VDCC. The 3 truck Shay shuts down at about 20-21 volts DCC.

Solution either lower your MTS voltage or lower the voltage inside the locomotive.

The easiest solution is to use rectifiers.  Atlas showed how to do this with their system which is the same concept
http://www.atlasrr.com/voltage.htm
I tend to place the rectifiers between the power supply and the system but it works equally well in both locations. Figure about a volt per rectifier so use 4 as in the diagram

The second problem is functions..The 3 truck shay supports lots of functions (Bell Whistle...)  LGB used two names parallel and serial to describe their system.  If you have a parallel system then no problem.  If you have a serial system, the system only supports F0 and F1 so your function choice will be very limited.

Hope that Helps

Stan Ames

wazzas

Stan Ames

Thank you for your detailed advice.