News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Williams santa fe caboose

Started by bluerose lady, September 05, 2010, 01:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

bluerose lady

Hello Mr. Joe Satnik..

well i found a MTH railking santa fe caboose # 30-7720 for 19.95 and it on its way to my apt.  now i guess i have a caboose so next are the freight cars and there so many to choose from  "HELP"  LOL.  Joe how good are the chrome plated plastic tank cars such as  MTH  "coors-light" beer  tanker ? are they good plating or easy to scratch ?

the woman who loves toy trains
Tiffany

Joe Satnik

Dear Tiffany,

I'm not sure about the chrome plating. 

I know that the chrome finish on Lionel's plastic engines from half a century ago didn't last too long.  It's possible they have made progress since then.

Perhaps a coat or two of Future floor wax might help.   

Others more knowledgeable, please chime in.

To me, the biggest thing in buying rolling stock is "what actual scale is the body".   Many O-27 size freight cars are closer to 1:64, and are totally dwarfed by true O scale (1:48) sized bodies. 

You could have 2 separate trains to run, one O-27, the other "scale", or "closer to scale".

Remember that couplers and wheel flanges are way over-sized in 3-rail-O, so you can't get too serious about being "in scale".

Hey, who says you have to buy rolling stock...

You could start scratch-building a fleet of your own tankers.....go get a six-pack.....

Just remember not to crush them on your forehead.     

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

bluerose lady

Hello Mr. Joe Satnik.....

I do remember back in 1980's the lionel chrome plated F-3's and you're right as the plating was not good.   I think i am going to pass on the chrome tank car and get the regular painted ones.  I know the truck couplers are OUT of scale but i didnt care.  I dont crush cans on my forehead but i seen guys do that and i dont get it ? maybe its a male ego thing i guess......
Tiffany

r0gruth

Also remember  that real railroad cars came in different sizes.This occurred at least twice in the twentieth century after both world wars.The largest differences could be seen in the 1960s and 1970s.
Roger

Joe Satnik

Tiff,

An uncanny failed attempt at humor on my part. 

Here's the kind of size difference I'm talking about:

http://s837.photobucket.com/albums/zz296/joebarb/SPC/?action=view&current=DSCN1262.jpg

In a consist they look out of place next to each other. 

Though Roger makes a good point about different size prototypes, the larger hopper tracks nicer than (doesn't derail as often as) the smaller.

Adding weight to the smaller/lighter hopper would make it track better.     

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

r0gruth

Roger

bluerose lady

Hello Mr. Joe Satnik......

I agree too..... becasue i sat my williams 2-8-4 berkshire beside my williams sd-45 and its like that 4 bay hopper vs. 2 bay hopper in the picture.  the sd-45 should be in area of 65 feet long and the berkshire with 12 wheel tender be least 98 feet long so the berkshire is under size,shorter and that is ok i like it too much to let it bother me.
Tiffany