News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

help for novice

Started by lawyerbilly, November 15, 2010, 07:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawyerbilly

Hi there,
had a Lionel when I was a kid and loved it. 66 yrs old now and still working but need indoor winter hobby and still fascinated by railroads. Leaning toward starting with either an HO or N set. Large home but space is always a concern given large family etc. I know digital controls are available now. Perhaps a reference book is what I need. Need laundry list of what I need to get started and maintain interest. Amount spent not huge issue and of course want to avoid junk and build setup to last. Can you give some advice?
thanks
Lawyerbilly

jonathan

LB,

Welcome back to the world's greatest hobby!

You are starting on the right track.  Most hobby stores will have a plethora of getting started in railroading books.  There are a number of primers in DCC, designing layouts, benchwork, trackwork,... etc.

Personally, I would choose HO over N scale, because eyesight and dexterity becomes an issue as we get older (speaking for myself).

One of your first practical assignments will be to determine exactly how much layout space you have.  This will answer most of your questions about layout design and benchwork.  I would recommend a minimum radius of 22" for your turn arounds, if you are planning continuous running.  Larger radius is better, obviously, but 22" radius will allow you to run most available equipment, and still stay with a smaller available space.

You will need to learn how to solder at some point.  Not as hard as you may think.  Basic woodworking skills will be a necessity at first (to build the benchwork).  The artistic stuff can come later.  

You don't need all the tools at once, although, you will be collecting a number of tools as your layout takes shape.

Plenty of experienced modellers here to answer all your questions.  This is where I learned most of the 'how to' knowledge.

Enjoy!

Regards,

Jonathan

jward

there is a series of layout plan books by atlas, available at most hobby shops, that guide you step by step through building various layouts. in HO they range in size from 4x6 feet, to an l shaped monster 10x12 feet. bachmann publishes a similar book using ez track. pick up one or more of these books, reading them will give you a feel for what is involved, and they also include a bill of materials for each layout.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

simkon

I'd go with HO if you have the available space for the reasons mentioned previously, N scale stuff just seems too small to work with reliably without breaking something.

lawyerbilly

Great information and will start reading and planning. Thanks for the responses.

GN.2-6-8-0

H.O is of course preferred to Nscale but keep in mind Bachmann also makes a outstanding line of On3 equippment thats even a bit larger and easier to work with and runs on H.O track.
Rocky Lives

bobwrgt

N scale is great if you want to put a lot into a little space. It has come a long way in the last few years. If you like very long trains and sweeping curves and have good eyes then go for it. You won't find much in the way of steam engines that are near as good as HO and then the sound engines are much better in HO also.
As far as cost they are about the same.
I have both but prefer HO for steam and sound.

Bob

glennk28

As we get older, O Gauge is more attractive--Basically same as the old Lionel, but better realil,--check out the "Williams pages--gj