News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

buildings

Started by scoutersama, December 19, 2010, 08:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoutersama

Has anyone tried to build buildings from Popsicle sticks as a frame and hen added sides and decals?

OldTimer

I have never tried pop-sicle sticks, but it sounds like a workable idea.  Give it a shot and let us know how it turns out.  You could use card stock for walls and frame the windows and doors with strip wood from your local hobby shop.  You'll probably find lots more scratch-building supplies there, too.  Ask about the kind of paint and glue to use so your structure doesn't warp.  Good luck with your project.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

richg

Jim Banner

Thanks, Rich, for the link.  I have not been using Popsicle sticks exactly.  I use wooden stir sticks, 1/4" wide.  They make great board on board siding in 0-scale for my 1880's 0n30 town.  As an example:

The weathering of the wood is done chemically and varies from piece to piece.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

NarrowMinded

The stir sticks Jim mentions work great and are cheaper then Popsicle sticks, all the Popsicle sticks I have ever found in bulk are harder to work with, some seem to be a little "slippery" I'm not sure if it is a waxing or polishing process but the seem a little harder to glue. For frames of buildings I like to use balsa wood, I buy bulk packs of assorted sizes at my local hobby shop for very cheap, the plus side is it cuts very easy.

NM