News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dcc engine to dc

Started by sbinning, December 23, 2010, 01:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbinning

I bought a train set that is a dc operation.  If I have a dcc equipped engine, what do I need to do to convert it to dc so I can run it.

Jim Banner

Usually, nothing.  Most DCC decoders are "dual mode" which means they will run on both dc and DCC.  This can be turned off by programming the decoder with a DCC system but normally is left turned on by default.  Try your DCC locomotive on a dc track and see if it works.  Even if it does not run, this test will not hurt your locomotive.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Kris Everett

I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.  Groucho Marx

or play with your trains. hahahahaha

Jim Banner

Kris, I watch Jeopardy! five days a week.  That leaves me about 23 hours short of the national average for television watching.  In terms of 8 hour work days, that gives me three extra days each week to work on and play with my trains, answer your questions, maintain a publically operated model railroad, and teach model railroading.

Like many Groucho quotes, this one wraps up an element of truth in a blanket of humour and feeds it to you in easy to take doses.  I am glad you noticed it and appreciate it.

Jim

Kris Everett

well your welcome. i just happen to notice that u didn't add working with your model trains so i figured i would bring it up. i have to say that some people have some really good quotes on the bottoms of posts it funny to read some of them and see what other interest people have besides railroading.

jward

jim

i agree about television cutting into my train time. i have a slightly different problem. i live 100 feet from the tracks, and every time i duck under the layout to work on something, they run a train. my knees and my head are getting mighty sore.......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Kris Everett

so every time they blow the whistle u thing that some one is playing with your trains and your saying holy cow! didn't know they could go that loud.

jward

nope, i am the avid railfan who only happens to model between the real ones.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Kris Everett

hahahahahahaha:) u should set up a camera then so that you can record the real ones while you work and then be able to watch them later :)

jward

watching them on tape or tv is not the same as being there. maybe i could tape the layout and watch that between trains.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

CNE Runner

We run a Bachmann Spectrum GE 45 Tonner on the Monks' Island Ry. This model has a dual-mode decoder - which is run exclusively on DC without any problems at all.

Jim Banner: 'Met a couple from Saskatoon here at the RV Resort in Casa Grande, AZ. The funny thing is that they don't know you...their loss.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Kris Everett

LOOK UP UR SPELLING OF JIM'S HOME TOWN YOU MISSPELLED IT :)

Jim Banner

Quote from: Kris Everett on December 25, 2010, 02:38:47 PM
LOOK UP UR SPELLING OF JIM'S HOME TOWN YOU MISSPELLED IT :)

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada.  Yes, that is where I live.  By the way, what does ur spell?

Ray, by all means give my Christmas Greetings to the Saskatoon couple at the Casa Grande RV Resort.  Obviously two of Saskatoon's brighter citizens, having the sense to head to Arizona for the winter.  The other two hundred thousand of us that stayed behind are jealous!

Jim

Kris Everett

sorry about that it was chat speak UR means your

oh i just remember you saying something about Saskatchewan

i thought he mispelled it show how much i know.

right? ::)

Jim Banner

Kris,
Saskatchewan is the province I live in.  A province is kind of like a state, only larger.  If memory serves, you can fit 14 of your states into the Province of Saskatchewan.  But don't feel too bad.  People from outside Canada often make that mistake.  I have received mail addressed to Sask, Sask, Canada and Saskatoon, Saskatoon, Canada and it still gets through.

Snap Quiz - which of the following is NOT a town in Saskatchewan - Eyebrow Saskatchewan, Moose Jaw Saskatchewan and Elbow Saskatchewan?

Jim