News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

replace plastic wheels on ho cars

Started by jk777, June 12, 2007, 12:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantic Central

Ernie,

I don't know you, or how old you are, or your personal situation, or what your skills and tallents are, so the following is not ment to criticize or offend.

You seem to have ideas of instant gratification, simple answers to complex problems and a somewhat naive view of the world. I base this on your comments here and on other threads you have posted before.

To assume that all brands of trains would be of equal quality would be like assuming that about anything else in the world - the world is just not that way, and thank goodness it is not.

There are no "quality police" making sure every purchase Ernie makes is a wise one, Ernie needs to get wise on his own.

This hobby has changed and actually gotten easier in many ways, BUT, it is still a hobby for the patient, skilled, curious, willing to quietly watch and learn from the master, willing to keep trying until he gets it, kind of person.

It is not a hobby for the cell phone while driving, hyperactive, give it to me now, plug and play, video game playing, why is this taking so long, kind of person.

Not everybody is suited to everything, I'm lousy at sports for example.

AND, if your current personal situation does not give you time, quiet, quality time in reasonably large enough blocks to focus on the necessary steps of the hobby, then it is unlikely that you will find it enjoyable or rewarding.

This is not meant to imply that the hobby cannot be enjoyed at different levels or to different degrees, it can. But you need realistic expectations of what you can acomplish with your time and resources. AND, taking time to learn how the hobby works so you can set those realistic goals is part of that.

If, you bought a lot of stuff because the price was low, well, most times that old saying is true - you get what you pay for. The price was low for a reason. And now you find out it is not of good quality and you are frustrated. That goes back to the being in a hurry thing. Many people make big mistakes in life by being in a hurry and not knowing what they are getting into.

So, Ernie, take a deep breath, think about what you like and dislike about model trains, honestly consider your resources of time and money, realisticly consider what you would like to get from this hobby. Then, slow down and set about a plan to learn what you need to know and work toward those goals OR, if all that sounds like work, not fun, send me list of what you have and I will see if I am interested.

Sheldon

SteamGene

Ernie,
Sheldon is right.  This is a hobby that takes time to learn, depending on what level you want to atempt.  For instance, while I read every article on how to scratchbuild a brass steam locomotve, you won;'t find me going that way.  I may build another Bowser, but that's about it. 
I'm fairly convinced that I made a mistake in jumping from a 4x8 to a 26x17.  I should have taken part of the space available, and built something lke an "L" shaped corner layout, abut ten feet on the side, knowing I'd rip it down about as soon as it was finished and then gone to work on the magnum opus.  But I didn't and I'm learning.  My soldering is now much better, and my grades seem in line with what they should be.  It will dtake awhile.  But it will be worth  it in the end. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

A few more thoughts here,

Like ebtbob, I prefer sprung, equalized trucks because my experiance has shown them to work better. My truck of choice is the Kadee metal one with Intermountain wheels, but for some applications I also use the E&B trucks with Intermountain wheels as ebtbob mentioned. Both these combinations are very free rolling and track very well.

Call them the Rolls Royce of HO trucks if you will. Not everyone needs the Rolls Royce, we are just sharing our experiance and opinions. Both are somewhat expensive choices, but in the words of a speed shop owner I once knew, "speed costs money, how fast do you want to go". Quality and performance usually cost money too and everyone must find their own balance and comfort zone on these things.

Gene,

You may have jumped in the deep end, but you are the kind of person who will not give up, so you will prevail, and, as you said it will be worth it. In fact it may be even more rewarding in the end to have been so "brave". Life is short, get in the game!

Ernie,

Like Gene said about scratch building a loco, I personally may or may not have those skills, but even if I do, or could develope them, that does not interest me. It would for one thing invest too much time in one aspect of the hobby when I have broader goals I wish to accomplish. So I make compromises and use locos I can buy or build from kits. To reach my goal of building and operating a fairly large layout, I even limit the number of loco kits or advanced rolling stock kits I will consider to fill my roster needs.

And, the way I model now is not the same as it was 20 or 30 years ago. My interests have changed, narrowed, and ajusted to a version of the hobby I find fun, not what someone else says I should be doing. Example - My lack of interest in sound equiped locos or DCC.

So if your trains stay on the track, and run the way you want them to and you are having fun, you are fine. Yes there is lots to learn and lots of choices but it is not about right and wrong choices (with the possible exception of actually making stuff work), it is about doing what you find fun.

And for most of us, there is fun in the learning. Even after nearly 40 years, I may know a lot about this stuff, but I don't know it all by any means. Thats why I keep doing it, to learn more.

Sheldon

lanny

Quote from: Virginian on June 13, 2007, 10:07:09 AM
I think lanny meant to say the use of the tuner and metal wheels reduce the rolling resistance 300% so it does roll easier, and I agree on the reducing, but I have not seen that great a change.

Thanks for that clarification, Virginian. I am not very adept at math or such  :) and perhaps overstated myself'. Here is what I meant. Taking any given piece of rolling stock and setting at the top of one of my long 2.7% grades, I release it and let it free roll, marking where it stops. Then I 'truck tune' with the Reboxx or Micro Mark, and add the Intermountain metal semi scale wheels.

I again place the piece of rolling stock exactly in the same starting location and release it. The distance it travels has been as great as 3 times the former distance. i.e. ... if it traveled 5 feet originally, some cars will now free roll 14-15 feet on that same test section, after doctoring. I have really been amazed at the difference.

I don't want to overstate the free rolling distance and I realize this is not a very scientific way to test. Not every car attains this distance. I apologize for overstating. I probably should have said that the 'best' is a 3 times longer rolling distance. The 'average' is maybe more like twice the distance ... but it is always significantly longer.

I don't know what that means in 'percentage of resistance' ... but what you pointed out sounds reasonable to this 'unscientific' person  :).

Weight evidently has a lot to do with distance traveled. Branchline Blueprint kits that I have built have two heavy bolts for weights. Those cars, when completed, really roll well. Some of my other lighter weight cars don't do quite as well.

lanny nicolet

ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

SteamGene

Lanny, weight can be good.  In the early days of our actually fighting in WWII,  the AVG, flying P-40s, had superiority over the Japanese flying A6M-5 Zeroes because the Japanese pilots tried to dive away, instead of climbing.  Had they climbed, the kill ratio would probably been opposite. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Bojangle

Hi Gene
Since I live in a very remote area, I often have to improvise.  The closest hobby/train store is over 200 miles.  But if I figured in my time, electricity to run the lathe, etc. I probably don't save by making tools.  I too have occasionally made a tool for a friend, but to sell them? Thanks, but  everytime I turn a hobby into a business, the fun goes away. 

I have no doubt the rolling can be improved, I have made my own tests by adding more cars, and watched the loco slow down.  But this also brings another thought to mind.  A stock loco runs too fast anyway (by itself).  So why couldn't the loco be geared down to a more scale speed, and thus increase the power.  I have a 70 ton switcher than runs slow, but it can pull much more than the GP40.   Maybe someday  they will make a multi-range loco with a small "gear shifter".   I used to re-wind slot car motors for more speed, why not re-wind for more power?  Food for thought.

Bo

lanny

Gene,

Off the subject of trains, but in reference to your comment about 'weight can be good', not only the P-40s were dangerous to Japanese Zeros (a lighter, more manuverable fighter), but in the European theatre, the P-47s were also at an advantage if the pilot was 'on the ball'. Once the P-47 went into a dive, the ME 110 and FW 190s could not keep up with them, though again both being more manuverable and perhaps even faster?. Thus if the altitude was great enough, I have understood P-47 pilots could 'dive' out of trouble in a dogfight.

But, both the P-40 and the P-47 (as well as other US aircraft) were harder to knock down bacause of protective armor for the pilot, etc. I think the P-47 was kind of like a 'flying tank' wasn't it?

lanny
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

SteamGene

Totally off the subject of trains, the P-47, which pilots called the "Jug," could indeed outdive a Bf-109.  The Bf-110 was much heavier and the FW-190 was about the same weight, though very manueverable. 
And yes, the U.S. aircraft had superior armor for the pilot, the fuel tanks, and, normally, the engine. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

jsmvmd

Too, the Grumman had the "Shindler factor," i.e. superior engineering that reinforced the cockpit and allowed many pilots to survive crash landings. Good guy was E.C. Shindler.

My Father-in-law met Dave Schilling, P-47 ace with 22 1/2 kills (I think) in NY before he was killed in an auto accident after WWII. Small albeit important bit of trivia there, seeing the way the US is going these days.

Best Wishes,

Jack