News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Turnouts and switching

Started by BillyG, January 01, 2011, 01:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyG

I'm new to railroading and need some help with the turnout switching. We bought 5 yo son the "Golden Spike" and  "Your First Railroad Track Pack" for Christmas. I've connected the Track Pack" as shown on the layout on the back of the box. Basically, and oval with an inside loop on one end, and a turnout to back the cars into splitting into two tracks with bumpers. The layout has 4 electric turnouts and two switches (what's that about). The "Golden Spike" had one manual turnout and 1 electric switch (what's that about). Also, I usually do things in a big way so I'm building the whole table as shown in the DVD with mountains, buildings, roads, etc.. The question, four turnouts, three switches, I connected the two turnouts to make the inside loop together, plugged them into one switch. It also makes it easier for the 5 yo not to forget and only switch one. Yesterday, the two turnouts worked together fine. However today, one will only switch one direction. I substituted a different turnout, same thing. Substituted a different switch, same thing. Checked where a stripped and tied wires together, no luck. Any suggestions, what am I not getting?   

jward

it sounds to me like operating two switches at the same time is pushing the limits of the ac portion of your power pack. your best option for right now is probably to only connect one switch to each controller, You can buy additional switch controllers at modest cost.

https://secure.atlasrr.com/mod1/itemdesc.asp?ic=0056&eq=&Tp=

i couldn't find switch control boxes as a seperate item in the bachmann catalog, but the above link shows a similar box from atlas, which is widely available in hobby shops. the wiring of these boxes whould be the same as bachmann's.

other options (all more expensive) would include getting a more powerful power pack, buying or building a capacitor dicharge unit to give the switch motors a more powerful kick when you throw them, or building or buying a seperate ac power supply of the appropriate voltage.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jim Banner

I suspect you are not getting any power to that one turnout.  Let's do some trouble shooting:
- if pressing the button throws one of the two turnouts that are connected together, the control switch, the connections to it, and the power pack are all okay.
- if the connections where the wires to the troublesome turnout connect to the wire from the control switch are good, then there should be power to the plug at the turnout end.  Good connections means clean wires twisted firmly together and soldered, then insulated.  Also, the connections must be: outside wire to outside wire; center wire to center wire; other outside wire to other outside wire.
- if power is reaching the wire to the turnout plug and you have tried it in two different turnouts which you know work a other locations, then the problem must be inside the plug.  One possibility is a wire has detached from one of the metal tabs inside the plug.

There are two possible ways to troubleshoot the plug.  One is to replace it with a new one, available from hobby shops or online.  The plug is not available separately.  It is available only with the wire attached.

The other way to test the plug is to use a couple of Grain Of Wheat bulbs or other small 12 volt bulbs with attached wires.  Connect one wire from each bulb together, then slip that connection into the centre slot in the plug.  Then slip one of the free wires into one of the outer slots and the remaining free wire into the other outer slot.  Needless to say, the ends of the wires have to be stripped down to bare metal in order for them to make electrical contact with the tabs inside the plug.  Now when you slide the control switch and push its button, one or the other light should light.  Which one lights will depend on which way you slide the control switch.  If not, then again the remedy is to replace the plug and the wire attached to it.

While Jeffery and I have different suspicions about what is happening (not enough power versus power not making it to the turnout motor,) both are possibilities.  I am all but certain that between the two, you will find and solve your problem.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

BillyG

Thanks guys found the wiring problem. Got a dc tester and found I had power leaving the switch in both positions but only making it to the turnout in one position. Upon inspection discovered I had a cat attack last night and one side of the green control wire was broken. Cut it, soldered it, and now have power to turnout.  Thank you for your responses! Turnouts still will not work repetitively, must be a time period between usage. Must be a capacitor in the controller that needs recharging. Thank You!