News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachmann turnouts

Started by jonjdurkin, January 22, 2011, 06:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawaiiho

Quote from: atari on February 20, 2011, 12:18:54 PM
I've read elsewhere about some odd DCC behavior with the turnouts (maybe here?). However, it is encouraging that they at least do not derail. Which ones do you use?

If you are referring you me, I have three of the Bachmann EZ Track DCC turnouts . I would change over more of the troublesome Bachmann remote turnouts, if it weren't for the expense and the  occasional weird DCC behavior.

atari

So which DCC turnouts do you use? #4,5,6?

hawaiiho

Quote from: atari on February 20, 2011, 03:03:01 PM
So which DCC turnouts do you use? #4,5,6?

I have both #4 and #5.

atari

It occurs to me that he Bachmann product info does not state the radius of the turnouts. What are the dimensions of the different turnouts?

Joe323

Ever since I added a capacitive discharge Unit the regular Bachmann remote turnouts work fine.

atari

I searched online and found a capacitive discharge unit but I still don't know what it is or does. Care to explain?

Joe323

Quote from: atari on February 21, 2011, 07:26:56 PM
I searched online and found a capacitive discharge unit but I still don't know what it is or does. Care to explain?

Be happy to :)

Non DCC Bachmann and most other entry level turnouts use a twin solenoid or coil to throw the switch.  Basically what happens is when you push the button to move the switch you create an electro magnet which pulls the frog in the direction you want it go.  There is one coil for each direction. 

Normally non DCC turnouts get their power from the AC or accesory outputs of the power pack.  What I and others have found out is that in many cases the 16 or so volts AC of the power pack just isn't enough power to reliably throw the turnout.

Enter the capacitive discharge unit(CDU).  This is a simple circuit that you can build or buy that uses an electical capacitor to store up a charge which is higher (I believe around 21 to 25 volts)  So now when you throw the switch there is a much more powerful electromagnet (for a second or so) causing the turnout to operate more reliably .  Then the current stops and the capacitor recharges generally in under a second and is ready for the next time.  According to the instructions in my unit they claim it can throw up to 10 turnouts at once though I have not tested this.

You should wire the CDU in between your power supply and the switch panel so you should generally need only one CDU per layout.

There is one other advantage of installing a CDU.  While it puts out a higher voltage the pulse if you will lasts a fraction of a second and then dies.  This protects the coils from overheating and burning out.

I hope thi helps.

timhar47

atari - per the RR-Track software, the Standard Turnout of course is 30 degrees, the #5 is 12 degrees, #6 is 10 degrees, the wye is +- 6 degrees, and the #4 seems to be good at 12 degrees.
The 33.3r Curves come in a pack of 4ea, and have a 12 degree and a 6 degree, so they will match up with the #4, #5, (12 deg) and the wye (6 deg) - the #6 however is a pickle, as the only 10 degree curve available w/o cutting your own, is an 18"r curve, kinda violent after a #6.
Tim

atari

So which one matches up to the 22" curves?

timhar47

I just ran a short layout on RR Track - 7 22R curves, with a #5 RH, followed by a 1/2 piece of 22r curve is the closest one can get(the #4 switches have not been added into RR Track program yet) Even so, there will bee some fudging, as the switch is 12 degrees, a 22"r is 22.5 degrees. 22.5 minus 12 = 10 degrees. The 1/2 22"r curve is 11.25 degrees, thats 1.25 too much. In other words, they dont make a piece that allows what you want. Youd have to hand cut a 22"r curve, or fudge in the 11.25 curve - that is push the resulting minor crookedness of the straight side loop back into straightness. You would have to mess with it IRL in real life-

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.