News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Coupler

Started by tlnibert, February 07, 2011, 09:35:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlnibert

I read that new couplers are coming out that work with other couplers. I see that Kadee has an E coupler, is that it.
Tom

Kevin Strong

A little more specificity would really help us nail down an answer for you.

Kadee introduced their "type E" coupler a year or more ago. Functionally it's identical to the original Kadee couplers, but looks a lot more like the prototype. They recently expanded that design to their "#1 scale" line of couplers that are a bit smaller.

Also recently, they introduced a "type E" coupler that uses the same mount as Bachmann's coupler, so all you have to do is unscrew the bachmann coupler, leaving the draft gear and mount in place, and screw in the Kadee coupler in its place. I believe this is available in both the "G" and "#1" sizes.

The Kadee "G scale" sized coupler is compatible with the Bachmann and Accucraft couplers, provided they're all mounted at the same height. (Bachmann couplers come at two heights, depending on what standard you're using.)

Hope that helps.

Later,

K

tlnibert

Kevin, I was thinking that Bachmann Aristo and USA had set a standard with NMRA.
I wanted to get started getting ready for summer and my layout needs a lot of work.

See you at York,MAYBE
Tom

Kevin Strong

Quote from: tlnibert on February 07, 2011, 01:31:21 PM
Kevin, I was thinking that Bachmann Aristo and USA had set a standard with NMRA.

:D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

(They don't have a smilie for doubling over in extreme laughter.)

There was a group that was working to establish basic guidelines for large scale couplers, but not establish one single standard. The feedback from the manufacturers was pretty unified - do what you want, we like what we're doing. I think what we're seeing in terms of manufacturers adopting others' mounts for their couplers, making it easy to change one for the other is about as close to "standards" as we're going to see among the manufacturers.

Later,

K

glennk28

Kadee Type E coupler #900 has the same shank style as the Kadee 830--which is the same shank and box as the Bachmann Spectrum coupler, but a better-looking coupler.  Kadee #916 is a coupler head only--you remove one screw from the Bachmann Spectrum coupler shank and remove the coupler, the Kadee 916 fits  in the dovetails on the original shank.  Good for special-length couplers like the  K-27 plow pilot.  They fit better on the cast metal Bachmann shanks than on the plastic ones. 

I have suggested to Cliff at Accucraft that they consider making their working-knuckle  Type E couplers with a Kadee-830/Bachmann-style shank so as too make their couplers drop-in fit on the Spectrum locos.  Their couplers presently use the same shank as the Kadee #835. 
Glenn Joesten