News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E44

Started by e44e33, February 07, 2007, 06:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody Elmore

When I was a kid a neighbor got a Lionel train set with the model of the EP-5 jet. Even though I had a GG-1 I thought that engine looked great in the tri-color scheme.

Too bad that New Haven didn't spend more time on getting the railroad to make money rather than invest in colorful and expensive paint jobs.

Their coaches that were copied by American Flyer - dark green with aluminum window frames

Woody Elmore

Sorry I didn't finish that last post - the coaches copied by American Flyer were really very elegant looking.

The movie "the Out of Towners" (the original, with Jack Lemon not the ridiculous remake) featured the New Haven railroad.

r.cprmier

Woody;
The New Haven was involved as a setting for several movies, including "It Happened to Jayne" (1958).  I do not like the "tri-colour" scheme.  I see paddy McGuinnes's stupid smirk in every time I see it.

It would still be interesting to see that GG-1 in NH livery.  Got one to try it on?  I have the paint...

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Conrail Quality

Too much bright red, I think.
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

RAM

How many of the The New Haven "motors went to conrail and amtrak.

Conrail Quality

Quote from: RAM on October 01, 2007, 10:10:07 PM
How many of the The New Haven "motors went to conrail and amtrak.

McGinnis scrapped all the motors except the 10 EP-5's :'( :'(. The 12 EF-4's were bought from the N&W after McGinnis left, and one was held for parts. The EP-5's were notoriously unreliable, and every single one had at least one major engine fire during their carreers. Only eight survived to Penn Central in 1969. All 11 EF-4's survived to PC. The EF-4's were built for freight and kept that job until 1980, when Conrail took down the wires. Two were preserved, and the rest scrapped. None ever went to Amtrak. PC originally planed to use the EP-5's for passengers, but due to their chronic unreliablity, plus the fact that they were only rated for 90 mph and didn't have a steam boiler capable of a New York-Washington run, had their jobs given to ex-PRR GG-1's, and the EP-5's were regeared for frieght. None went to Amtrak, and only six made it to Conrail. They almost imeditely ended up in the deadline, and were never even given a CR stencil. All were scrapped :'(.

In short:
Amtrak: None
Conrail: 11 EF-4 (plus one for parts)
           6  EP-5
Timothy

r.cprmier

Conrail;
That is NOT the NH livery I was referring to.

RIch
Rich

Woody Elmore

I think the lurid paint job on that poor GG-1 pictured above has damaged my vision.

Yes the red is wrong - so is everything else.

Conrail Quality

More sad GG-1's, coutesy of the New Jersey Department of Transportation.

Timothy

Frankford el car

It could have been better or worst. For better, imagine AEM-7's, and ALP-44's, in Tuscan Red, with gold cat whisker stripes, keystones on the cab fronts, and "P E N N S Y L V A N I A" on the sides. For worst, picture GG-1's, New York Central P, S, or T motors, and Milwaukee Road "Little Joe's", in the Acela paint scheme... :o
Chief Superintendent,

Independent Transit Co. (INT Lines)

"Have your transfer ready, for the next stop."

Conrail Quality

Timothy

r.cprmier

Yep...There's one in every crowd.  Hide that puppy, willya?

Rich
Rich

Woody Elmore

Oh no! Sad to say I like the Acela GG-1. Looks a heck of a lot better than PC black.

We should take a poll and see which was the worst paint scheme ever applied to a GG-1. My vote is for the "Spirit of 76." Second are the various PC black schemes, third worst would be the CR blue.

My favorite Pennsy color scheme was tuscan red with cat whiskers.

r.cprmier

Tuscan Red or Brunswick Green with five pins

Rich

(I still say that the PULLMAN GREEN with Deluxe gold and the prettiest herald in the business would have made a really classy signature.  Typically southern New England class!  If things had gone a tad different, who knows...)

RIch
Rich

hhp664

I think the Acela GG-1 is sharp. Hell i think the Penn Central mating worms and shiny black paint is fine. I didn't realize New Haven had  E44's i thought they only had E-33's. I thought Pennsy had them all.  Oh and Conrail dress blue was and still is a very nice paint scheme. If all of those older railroads were so sharp they would still be here. As a modern modeler i am sick and tired of all these retro F series and E series and the early diesels engines in these old paint schemes.  But if i had to vote 1st would be the Silver congressional colers and then the dark version of the congressional style.