News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

supplies

Started by jboot111, February 08, 2011, 04:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jboot111

i need to find some suplies for my trains and wnat to know is it cheaper to go to a store or buy online

richg

Go to the store and look at their price. Figure in sales tax and gas mileage if a distance from the store.
Go on line and look at  the prices with shipping and possible sales tax.
People here have posted some good on line stores.

Today if you have a Smart phone or say iPad, go to the store and look at the prices. With your electronic device, go on line and look for the same item. You can order while in the store and on line. Many times you can find a better price including shipping.
Some people I know did that this past Christmas and lucked out.
No very difficult at all. I do that some times. My LHS is mostly on line shopping now.

Rich

OldTimer

Usually, it is less expensive to buy on-line.  But, don't forget that you may have to pay postage on top of that good buy you got.  So, many times, it doesn't make a lot of difference by the time you write the check.  If you have a local hobby shop, you ought to try to give it at least some of your business.  The folks who work there can be an invaluable resource for you, and they will be much more willing to help a good customer than some stranger who walks in off the street looking for help with a broken locomotive he bought on-line or at some big chain store.
OldTimer  
Just workin' on the railroad.

jboot111

is hobby lobby a good hobby shop ???

ACY

Quote from: jboot111 on February 08, 2011, 05:03:13 PM
is hobby lobby a good hobby shop ???
No, the associates are not knowledgeable and their prices are inflated. Only buy there when you have a 40% off coupon or if the item has been marked down at least 30%. A good hobby shop would not be a chain, it would be something like Jim's Hobby Center or (your town here) Hobby.

jboot111

well for then i will have to go to colorado springs

RAM

is hobby lobby a good hobby shop?  No.  Hobby Lobby no long stock railroad products.  They may carry a few train set for Christmas, but that is it. 

ACY

Quote from: RAM on February 08, 2011, 07:20:12 PM
is hobby lobby a good hobby shop?  No.  Hobby Lobby no long stock railroad products.  They may carry a few train set for Christmas, but that is it. 
This is mostly true, some Hobby Lobby locations carry train sets year long, but the selection is not good: only 3 different Bachmann HO scale train sets and 2 different Bachmann N scale sets. Except for a few locations without any competition within a 100 mile radius, they do not carry any model railroading accessories, scenery or supplies. I only know of 7 locations in the US that have a limited selection of model railroad supplies, but they are very expensive, the prices are higher than they were before the restructuring.

OldTimer

If you want to make a day trip of it, head for Denver, the home of Caboose Hobbies, an excellent hobby shop.  They also have a web site at

www.caboosehobbies.com

See the bottom of their home page for store hours, phone numbers, e-mail, etc.
OldTimer

Just workin' on the railroad.

ebtnut

Note also that Caboose Hobbies is only about a block away from one of the light rail stops. 

CNE Runner

Check out Micro Mark on the Internet at:

Micro Mark has just about any supply you may need. Be advised they can be pricey and the shipping costs will be easier to 'swallow' if you have a few items ordered.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"