News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

COUPLER TYPES FOR UNPOUPLING

Started by darticus, March 07, 2011, 04:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darticus

I have a mix of uncoupler types on my trains. Some McHenry's, some micro trains, kadee's and some the old useless type. Do we want all trains of the same type for uncoupling or will one work with the other. What do you do with the old couplers? Do you change them? Just learning so have to ask. Is there a cheap way to buy couplers to change over??? Ron

Albert in N

Many of us N scalers have mixed couplers.  Once a priority is decided, you may want to specialize.  Fine scale N modelers often change over to MicroTrains Z scale couplers, which are correct size for N scale.  The MT N couplers are slightly over size, but generally work well and appear to be the best for switching.  At train shows, if you see an N scale time saver switching module, it will have MicroTrains couplers with hand thrown turnouts.  If you want to run passenger trains with proto type close coupling, leave the dummy couplers (Rapidos or Katos) that came with the passenger cars.  That is OK as long as you have a conversion car to mate with your passenger locomotive.  Not many people switch passenger cars; they just run the train.  Current Atlas products have had AccuMate couplers for some 10 years.  Atlas couplers do mate with MTs and usually seem to work most of the time.   However, Atlas couplers often lose their trip pins (they just fall off) and really are not on a par with MicroTrains couplers.  McHenry couplers seem too long with distance between cars noticable.  However McHenry (Athearn) couplers work fairly well and seem to keep their trip pins.  Also, McHenry couplers interface well with Bachmann dummy knuckle couplers.  If you can afford them, MicroTrains are best for switching and do have bulk packs for some saving.  However, you will need to choose between truck mounted couplers and body mount.  I am certainly no expert and merely am commenting on my layout experience.