News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound Decoder for the Porter

Started by HK Porter, March 06, 2011, 12:33:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HK Porter

Will it use the TSU 750 decoder for small steam, soundtraxx seem to recommend it and do you know the 3 whistles it will have available.

NarrowMinded

I'm sure the bach-man will let us know, but I suspect its something designed specifically for the porter. word is that it uses an "exciter" to generate the sound through the cab and not a conventional speaker...

NM

HK Porter

Sounds really interesting huh....  you know the Davenport has to be next for sound !!

NarrowMinded

I have one of the little Diesels, I built a little MOV car to house a TSU1000 diesel decoder, the car is always attached, it sounds great. though the unchanging drone of the diesel gets to be a little much at times, its not relaxing like the steam chuff is to me, so I use the manual notching feature to set it to idle while its running around.

NM

Steve Magee

When it comes to the Davenport, an ESU micro fits under the engine hood with the speaker making the right noise through where the fake plastic mesh was in the grill area until it is cut out and replaced with fine brass mesh. Then you can download any sound you require - I am still using their Caterpillar sound file, sounds good.

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

HarryHotspur

Quote from: NarrowMinded on March 06, 2011, 02:17:30 AM
I have one of the little Diesels, I built a little MOV car to house a TSU1000 diesel decoder, the car is always attached, it sounds great. though the unchanging drone of the diesel gets to be a little much at times, its not relaxing like the steam chuff is to me, so I use the manual notching feature to set it to idle while its running around.

NM

Not that it matters, but in case you're interested, they aren't diesels, they have gasoline engines.

the Bach-man

Dear All,
The locos do, in fact, have an exciter. I haven't yet heard one, so I can't comment on the sound. I'm anticipating too!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

MRRSparky

When it comes to the Davenport, an ESU micro fits under the engine hood with the speaker making the right noise through where the fake plastic mesh was in the grill area until it is cut out and replaced with fine brass mesh. Then you can download any sound you require - I am still using their Caterpillar sound file, sounds good.

FWIW, ESU has a sounds available for a German side-rod Diesel that is pretty cool.  You really can hear them and to take maximum advantage, you have to run the critter rather slowly.  Unfortunately, it is not a gas engine.

Scott Groff
Puyallup, WA

willis

will there be or is there a motion/ sound decoder that can be fitted into the older 0-4-2 porter? ???
i bought one before i saw there was to be a sound one comming out. ::)

NarrowMinded

I've added non sound decoders to two porters is not easy... You could likely fit a tsunami 750 in the coal bunker with a tiny speaker or maybe mount a speaker under the roof, my porters both have all weather cabs so there's more room for decoders
Nm