News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How To Install "wood" on Tender

Started by john.001, March 24, 2011, 10:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john.001

Steam Engine:  Bachmann 85104; Main Central #83 Spectrum® HO Scale Richmond Modern 4-4-0 Locomotive; DCC sound installed.

The unit came with a "coal" insert already installed on the tender.  Along with the unit came what appears to be a replacement "wood" insert for the top of the tender.  My eyes are not that great, but it appears you remove two screws (damned small), then lift out the coal insert and install the wood insert.  This was an expensive toy, so I don't want to begin removing parts only to find I can't get things back together.

So, how do you remove the old coal tender top and install the wood one?

Thanks.

richg

Remove two screw and lift the shell off. Press the coal pile out from inside. Put the wood load in place.
The diagram for the tender shows this very clearly.
Look at the oil bunker picture and you can see four tiny pins that press into holes in the top of the tender shell.
Coal, wood, all the same.

Rich

railsider

Not to get too fussy, but I've found REAL wood looks even better, and isn't too hard to do.

Find dry twigs about the size of scale firewood (HO: about 1/4" dia) and cut it to length (about 3/8") then split it with a hobby knife. Hold it with needle-nose pliers). You'll lose a few, so make a bunch. Then over a layout-construction-board base in the tender, lay down some white glue and put in a layer of wood, random scattered or neatly stacked, as you prefer. Let the glue dry (clear) over night and there you are. A shot of dull coating will stabilize the works.