News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Mate Couplers

Started by joeprr, April 07, 2011, 07:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeprr

I want to convert Bachmann freight cars equipped with horn hook couplers to EZ Mate couplers  Any suggestions on type of coupler to use.

jonathan

Spend a few pennies more and get the EZMate Mark II couplers.  They have a metal spring on the knuckle.

While Kadee couplers are the benchmark, I find the Mark II's to be an excellent substitute when I'm out of metal couplers.

If your older freight cars have talgo trucks (coupler mechanism connected to the truck vice the car body), that's a different can of worms. You would be better off cutting the coupler boxes off the trucks and getting kadee couplers (the No. 5 is the standard).  These couplers come with coupler boxes and instructions on how to assemble and mount them.

You will find differing opinions on couplers and the value of modifying your old equipment.  Personally, I like to get my old equipment on the layout with the new stuff.

Regards,

Jonathan

joeprr

Thank you Jonathan. Most of the cars are from Bachmann train sets. The couplers are mounted on the trucks. I think Kadee's #38 are for this type of mounting. I thought Bachmann, since they made these cars, would have an easy fix.
Joe

ACY

It would be best to cut the coupler pockets off the trucks and then mount Kadee #5 or #148 couplers (and coupler boxes) to the bottom of the cars. Putting knuckle couplers in a truck mounted coupler pocket does not improve anything and may actually be worse than what you had before with the horn-hook couplers.

Jhanecker2

joeprr  it is doable with EZMate Mark II couplers  .  I did it to my own older bachmann cars , you do have to use a coupler gauge to make sure you get the heights correct .  I also used kadee couplers and did get the probe from Kadee to make the changes to the talgo boxes easier.   It won't cure every problem , but it will install knuckle couplers.   John  II.

OldTimer

The Kadee 20 series couplers include the truck mounting adaptor in the package along with the standard draft gear box.  The 30 series couplers come with a unique draft gear "box" designed for body mounting in tight spaces.  The Kadee web site at www.kadee.com has complete descriptions of all their couplers. 
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

Len

If you want to use EZ-Mate Mk-II's, or Kadee couplers, in your existing coupler boxes you can get the 'Talgo Adapters' that come in the 30 series couplers seperately. They are item #212.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Doneldon

Joe-

Whether you use Bachmann EZ Mate II couplers or Kadees you'll do much better with body mounted couplers than talgos. This is especially true when backing up.
                                                                                          -- D