Problem Programming Bachmann Forney Sound Decoder

Started by Cookie, June 29, 2007, 05:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cookie

I recently purchased a Bachmann On30 Forney with the factory installed Tsunami sound decoder.  Although my EZ Command controller will operate all functions properly on decoder address 0003, I cannot assign another address to this locomotive.

I also recently purchased a MRC Prodigy Advance 2 and have the same problems with it.  It won't program the Forney on the main or the program track!

Another group told me I had to purchase a "programming boooster".  I thought this DCC was supposed to be fun.  I have a lot of money wrapped up in this stuff and it doesn't work any better than a cheap kid's toy.

What do you say Bachmann?
Curt

the Bach-man

Dear Cookie,
Make sure you're hitting the correct buttons sequentially- think "contol, alt, delete"...
As the loco runs, press and hold down address three, then stop, then release both togther. Select anothe address, and the loco should "wiggle".  Hit stop again, and you're on the new address.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

WoundedBear

But B-mann.....he says he's having trouble to get his MRC to program as well. I'm sure he knows how to operate his EZC.

Are you implying  the Bmann supplied decoders can't be programmed by the MRC?

To me it looks like it's the resistor fix here.

Sid

the Bach-man

Dear Sid,
Why don't we let Cookie decide if learning to change addresses is of help? I have an MRC system as well, and it doesn't require a resistor.
Thanks-
the Bach-man

Hunt

MRC Prodigy Advance 2

I have deleted the information in this reply. It is no long available to the Bachmann Board.
Hunt

Hunt

Quote from: WoundedBear on June 29, 2007, 11:19:18 PM
To me it looks like it's the resistor fix here.

Sid
Sid,
Reread the workaround I gave, which uses 1000 ohm resistor.
QuoteWorkaround required to program a non-sound Bachmann decoder using a Digitrax Zephyr.
Note two key items
1. non-sound Bachmann decoder
2. Digitrax Zephyr

WoundedBear

morrisf

The instructions that came with the model say that you will need a Soundtraxx PTB-100 program track booster to program the locomotive (other than address, that is). I have not been able to program CV's (other than address) on any Tsunami-equipped Bachmann loco in any other way than with that specific booster.

This is a typical requirement of sound-equipped decoders, because they have electronic requirements that exceed what is supplied with standard DCC systems, including EZ Command and Prodigy. Even NCE systems require the booster in order for the programming cab's display to read correctly.

You are not going to get away without spending money for these items. These are highly technical devices which require sophisticated electronics. DCC is beneficial in that simple wiring is all that's needed to control trains separately on the same track...essentially two wires from booster to rail. It eliminates all the block wiring required for simple power packs; however, the DCC systems designed to give you this benefit are complicated and relatively expensive. Many folks think it's worth the expense.

Morris

Cookie

After extensive effort and numerous attempts I am quite satisfied that the particular Bachmann On30 Forney / Tsunami that I have cannot be programmed by either my Bachmann EZ Command system or my MRC Prodigy Advance2 system.

I would like to note that I have never read any reference to a programming booster in any of Bachmann's advertising related to their On30 Forney or any other Bachmann product for that matter.  Consumers are led to beleive, by ommission of this fact, that both the EZ Command and any other NMRA compliant system is capable of programming the Bachmann / Tsunami decoders.

At this point I honestly don't beleive that "Bachman" can change the address of my "Bachmann / Tsunami decoder with my EZ Command sytem or with my MRC Prodigy Advance2 system.  I'll have to admit that I'm still a little sore about his inference that I "need to learn how to change an address"!

I would like all members to please keep in mind that I still think Bachmann products are well made and of good value and I will continue to purchase them as I can.

Cookie
Curt

WoundedBear

Let's see....change address....oh ya!!....down at the post office they got these forms that...oh, wait.....never mind....

I'll just shut up again....lmao....wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee ;D :D

Sid

But seriously....I'm a little choked at Bachmann's advertising of the EZC system as well....all the talk of momentum, 128/28 etc.....but no mentiion anywhere that EZC is not capable of making these changes.

My local LHS had no idea it wouldn't, and none of the literature I read up until the time of purchase said otherwise. So like any reasonable idiot, I did that terrible thing and assumed.

The first mention I saw of it's inability to do anything other than the very basic programming was in the decoder pamphlet. No where in the EZC manual does it tell you this either.

Live and learn.

Wonder if B'mann is gonna yell at me for this post? :-\

StanAmes

I have been folowing this thread at a distance.  I can program the address using the EZ command with no problems as can all others I know of so clearly there is a unique problem here that needs to be solved.

The mention of a booster is for systems with a very low current seperate programming track. The Bachmann EZ Command programs at full track voltage/current unless you install a seperate resistor for programing.  Therefore no booster is needed.

Have you sucessfully programmed the address of other decoders on your EZ Command system?

I only ask in order to try to determine if it is a system or decoder issue.

I am curious so send me an email off list and I will call and walk you through it to determine what the issue is.

Stan Ames
stanames@comcast.net

Cookie

Thanks to all of you for your input and feed back.  Bachmann, if I had a hat I would have to eat it.  I guess I just wasn't holdin' my mouth right because I finally was able to change the address of this decoder.  I really appreciate all of the guidance and I especailly want to thank Stan whose offer to talk me through this gave me incentive to try just one more time on my own.
Curt

David(UK)

I had the same problem with my Forneys and the Prodigy advance - in the end i bit the bullet and bought the Soundtraxx Booster - after that had no problems at all programming the address.
Seemed an expensive thing to have to buy, just to program a loco address - still it will come in handy for the next Tsunamis I buy.
Quote from: Cookie on July 07, 2007, 07:00:52 PM
Thanks to all of you for your input and feed back.  Bachmann, if I had a hat I would have to eat it.  I guess I just wasn't holdin' my mouth right because I finally was able to change the address of this decoder.  I really appreciate all of the guidance and I especailly want to thank Stan whose offer to talk me through this gave me incentive to try just one more time on my own.
Regards
David(UK)
Rail Baron of Leeds