News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Missing product?

Started by ryanlbrooks, June 12, 2011, 05:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryanlbrooks

Bought my first Bachmann this weekend at a garage sale and looking for some info.
It has 80918 stamped on the back and "Bachmann HO Electric Train Set" on the front.
The seller told me he bought it in 1978 and never opened it.

Can't find this product # anywhere online, including your site.
See lots of great sets here, just wondering where mine fits in with your lineup.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

ACY

It probably hasn't been made since 1978 and is not comparable the least bit to any current Bachmann set. Only currently manufactured items are listed on the website here. Compared to a modern Bachmann set, your set is in one word obsolete. Most 1970's and 1980's Bachmann sets are not worth more than $15-$20 because they are frankly junk compared to Bachmann's newer sets which are pretty good for the most part. Back then Bachmann was similar to Tyco and others in that they were more of a toy than a model manufacturer, whereas now they are biased more toward a model manufacturer like BLI, Atlas, etc... 

Jim Banner

While I agree with ACY for the most part, there is nothing stopping you from setting up your new-to-you train set and having some fun.  After a third of a century sitting in a box, it probably will not run without a bit of TLC.  The rails of the track are probably made of brass and the tops of them will likely need cleaning.  Brasso will work if they are tarnished but not corroded.  Otherwise some very fine sandpaper such as 600 grit wet and dry paper will do the job.  Do not be tempted to use anything coarser as it will leave scratches in the tops of the rails which will then gather dirt like crazy.  The pickup wheels of the locomotive may also need cleaning.  Whatever you do avoid steel wool like the plague.  The magnets in the motor inside the locomotive will pick up stray bits and slivers of steel and that will be the end of your motor.

The other problem associated with sitting for a long time is that the oil and grease has probably dried up.  The axle and motor bushing will need a tiny drop of light plastic compatible oil and the gear will need heavier gear oil or light gear grease, also plastic compatible.  Sorry, but regular oils can do more harm than good.  A little bit of plastic compatible conductive oil on the metal locomotive wheels will also help the locomotive pick up power from the rails.  These oils and greases are available from your local hobby shop or online. 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jward

one of the things you may find from sets of this era, to expand a bit on what acy said, is that the motors are cheap and directly geared to the wheels. compared to the smooth running locomotives that are the norm to-day, the old ones run like slot cars. often the bachmann ones had a motor with plastic bearings, when used alot these would overheat and melt, causing the motor to seize up.

you may be able to get the locomotive to run, but be aware that it may not run for long.

another thing to be aware of is that older HO trains use what are known as "horn-hook" couplers. these are not compatable with couplers on the newer cars. if you decide to expand your set with newer cars or locomotives, you will need to make at least one "conversion" car, with a standard coupler on one end, and a horn hook on the other. not difficult to do, so don't let that scare you.

as for cleaning the track, i've never been a fan of sand paper. the grit can get in gears and cause damage. a track cleaner block, such as a bright boy, will do the job of cleaning the track. just be aware it will take some elbow grease. i've cleaned brass rail that had sat in a damp cellar for 30+ years that way, and was able to use it on a previous layout.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

Ryan-

Very fine 3M abrasive pads do a great job on brass rails without banging it up and inviting future problems. They don't shed magnetic bits or damage the rails at all. And they are just about as quick as extra fine sandpaper, which I also eschew. It can help to use them with a tiny bit of water or polish. Be careful with polish, however, because it can leave unsightly residue.
                                                                   -- D

hawaiiho

Quote from: ryanlbrooks on June 12, 2011, 05:22:17 PM
Bought my first Bachmann this weekend at a garage sale and looking for some info.
It has 80918 stamped on the back and "Bachmann HO Electric Train Set" on the front.
The seller told me he bought it in 1978 and never opened it.

Can't find this product # anywhere online, including your site.
See lots of great sets here, just wondering where mine fits in with your lineup.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Ryan,

It would help if you could provide more of a description. IE, a set name, if it is on the box, railroad name(on the locomotive and/or caboose), freight or passenger,  the type of locomotive(steam, diesel) the cars included, etc.
There are references available for these old sets, but they require more information than you provided.

Will