News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann B&O EM-1

Started by Rashputin, July 08, 2011, 03:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steam Freak

Ya know, I think this will be Bachmann's first large HO scale steam engine.

And I'll have to say:

ITS ABOUT TIME ;D

Steam Freak

Hey, maybe this engine will break the ice for other large steam engines in the future?

Doesn't hurt to ask right?  ;)

ebtnut

As noted in that steamlocomotive.com piece, the EM-1's would not have existed at all if the War Production Board had allowed the B&O to acquire more diesels.  The B&O had acquired a number of F-T's just before the war, and was very happy with them.  The road did get good use out of the EM-1's, running them almost to the end of steam on the B&O.  Their last stand was on the line to Sandusky, OH, taking coal to the lake docks.  I once interviewed an old head on running B&O steam, and he really liked the EM-1's a lot.  He was not so fond of the S-1 "Big Sixes", mostly because when they were rebuilt with larger cylinders the designers didn't change out the injectors.  Seems as if at full throttle the injectors could not keep up with the boiler's water usage.  Never a good thing to let the water get too low!

GN.2-6-8-0

Checking the locomotive cyclopedia by Mainline Modeler which had a very nice chapter on this engine the overall length of the EM-1 WAS 125' 3 5/8 Inchs  ;D
Rocky Lives

Doneldon

I'm not into the B&O so I'm not all that excited about the EM-1,
but I'm certainly impressed by the enthusiasm and the
extensive comments about the loco. It's unprecedented.
Bachmann must be really pleased to see it.
                                                                    -- D

J3a-614