News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Connecting Bachman 0-6-0 to it's tender

Started by ferrycap, December 05, 2011, 07:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferrycap

I just got a Bachman 0-6-0 and the only way that I can see to connect it to it's tender is for the vertical post on the tender to go up into a sort of horizontal opening underneath the cab.  It would probably run OK but isn't it a bit sloppy in it's movement?

All I want it for is our Christmas display in our yarn shop front window, so as long as it stays on the track it's fine with us.

Thanks very much,

ferrycap

on30gn15

That is the way it is intended.
As rear of loco swings out on curves the post will slide in slot. That allows the little thing to negotiate some pretty tight curves with a minimum of mechanical fuss.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

ferrycap

Thanks very much.  While I've got your attention how hard is it to replace the front coupler?

We probably won't need it but it is missing and, who knows, someone might like to have it.

Ferrycap

on30gn15

Quote from: ferrycap on December 05, 2011, 10:14:24 PM
While I've got your attention how hard is it to replace the front coupler?
Can't answer how easy to replace stock part because I was shooting for total replacement with a working coupler.

Here's a thread on that by a fellow who figured out a way to do so http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,18404.0.html "My Solution to the 0-6-0 Front Coupler Problem" by Jonathan
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

jonathan

ferrycap,

That was my thread on replacing the dummy coupler with a real coupler.

The most time consuming part of the project is the careful drilling out of the existing coupler pocket.  I started a very small drill bit (#70 I think).  I drilled out the four corners.  Then started drilling in the middle; starting small and gradually increasing the bit size.  You have to be careful not to drill too far into the pocket, lest you weaken the pilot area.  There's not much plastic in the pilot area.

It still works fine, as I have doubleheaded the locomotive and pushed and pulled with the front coupler with no problems.  It will even uncouple over an under-the-track magnet.  I don't do switching operations as a rule, but the loco can do it if called upon.

Regards,

Jonathan