Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Santa Fe 2-10-4 won't handle 22" curves

Started by Sakda50, November 27, 2011, 03:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Quote from: ebtbob on December 01, 2011, 08:26:43 AM
Roger,

While I agree with you about the appearance,  remember the way things look varies greatly from person to person,  so what is stupid to you or me is not necessarily the same for everyone.
      Also,   from working in a train store,  I have seen statements for experienced modelers,  using words such as stupid,  turn people away from our wonderful hobby.   I find it much more helpful to show someone that with large engines on small railroads,   overhang may create the need to have more distance between parallel tracks to avoid sideswiping thus eliminating some potential track that might be used otherwise.    Conversation like that will create dialog with the newbie and help him or her immensely.

Perhaps "stupid" was the wrong choice of words.  It was the loco I was referring to of course, not the person running it. 

I ran 2-10-2s and 4-8-2s on the old GER and ran them around 24" curves.  However, those curves were hidden and lead to the hidden staging yard.  The big steam only ran between the hidden staging and the first modelled yard at Granville Junction.  There, the "big" steam came off and was replaced by 2-8-2s and 2-8-0s as I didn't want the larger steam to run through my 28" curve at the end of the peninsula as they would look odd (Better choice?) doing so.  So it is possible, even in a limited way, to operate big steam on small curves and not have them look odd doing so.  Even if in a rather limited way.

My apologies if my poor choice of words offended anyone.

I am fortunate that I now have space in the new 10ft x 30ft model railway room in the basement that my mainline curves can be a generous 40 to 50 plus inch minimum radii so my 2-10-2s and 4-8-2s will be able to run anywhere on the main and in full view all the time.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: florynow on December 02, 2011, 09:34:01 PM
I've been looking at real railroads and models for a long time and have a very focused view.  But then ............. way back before I did .......... I'm not sure if I didn't have more fun when details didn't matter much.

PF

Bravo to you for having the courage to admit that in public.  :)

uncbob

My 4-8-2 runs on 20 and 22 no problem

Here it is entering a 22

Looks OK to me but that is me

Jerrys HO

uncbob-

Looks great to me to. Nice scenery also.

Jerry

Sakda50

You guys have all been great.  Really admire your work.  I consider myself competent but often have days where I feel like amateur would be an improvement!  I was an original member of the SBRHS Santa Fe 3751 resoration project and got started in this recently with the purchase of a BLI 3751.  Blown away with the technology since I was a kid and got hooked.  Really like the Bachmann products.  Good runners always at a reasonable price.  Plus up until 2010 I was working in Shanghai and Bachmann had the only retail outlets in China and doing well.  Hats off.  Back on topic:  I have a 4x8 layout and I suppose it's about getting those few seconds of joy seeing the loco running on those few feet of track that don't bend it ridiculously out of shape that makes it worth it. 

uncbob

Quote from: Sakda50 on December 04, 2011, 03:16:11 AM
You guys have all been great.  Really admire your work.  I consider myself competent but often have days where I feel like amateur would be an improvement!  I was an original member of the SBRHS Santa Fe 3751 resoration project and got started in this recently with the purchase of a BLI 3751.  Blown away with the technology since I was a kid and got hooked.  Really like the Bachmann products.  Good runners always at a reasonable price.  Plus up until 2010 I was working in Shanghai and Bachmann had the only retail outlets in China and doing well.  Hats off.  Back on topic:  I have a 4x8 layout and I suppose it's about getting those few seconds of joy seeing the loco running on those few feet of track that don't bend it ridiculously out of shape that makes it worth it. 
If you have a 4x8 layout how are you using 22 radius ?
Your rails must be right on the edge of the layout

Sakda50

Hi uncbob,

Trying to figure out how to upload images.  I had two tracks on my 4x8.  The outside main was with 22" curves and the inside local was a sort of dogbone twin reversing loop arrangement.  Any advice on how to upload images?

Jerrys HO

Sakda50-

You need to use a photobucket account for pics. and youtube account for videos.
They are free to sign up for and easy to use.

Jerry

jonathan

Sakda50,

You need a photo sharing account, like photobucket.com or flickr.com.

Once you have an account, and have uploaded your images into it, you can copy and paste the image links onto your post.

This is necessary to prevent overloading the memory on the forum.

Regards,

Jonathan

uncbob

Quote from: Sakda50 on December 05, 2011, 04:59:00 AM
Hi uncbob,

Trying to figure out how to upload images.  I had two tracks on my 4x8.  The outside main was with 22" curves and the inside local was a sort of dogbone twin reversing loop arrangement.  Any advice on how to upload images?
My original 4x8 had 2 tracks
A 20 and a 18
The 20 was near the edge of the platform
A 22 would have been right on the edge
You sure it was a 22 and not a 20

Jerrys HO

uncbob-

I have 22r on 4x8 with ( I'd have to go measure) about  an inch and a half to spare both sides. Yes it is tight but there is room even for scenery.

Jerry

Doneldon

Jerry-

I think your spacing for the 22" curves is accutate. The 22"
is the centerline radius. If it's another 3/4" or so to the edge
of the roadbed there would be something over an inch left
on both sides.
                        -- D

Sakda50

To All,

Thanks again for your help.  I was in Shanghai, China in 2008 when I started the project.  The only track available was from the local Bachmann shop and put the layout together with 22" and 18" EZ Track.  As mentioned from several posts the 22" curves did leave about an 1-1/2" to the edge of the layout and was quite OK considering the space.  Only regret was that the EZ Track was quite noisy despite being laid out on a 1/2" styrofoam base.  You guys have had some great posts and loved the "maybe was more fun when not so serious" [my paraphrase] comment.  I can think of so many times knocking off thinking it didn't come like I was thinking only to get up the next morning and saying "that's not so bad!!'  Great hobby.