News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Cub Scout Merit Badge

Started by dartman68, January 05, 2012, 12:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dartman68

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Cub Scout Bachmann Merit Badge. Some of my boys in my Pack as well as myself are train fanatics. In our montly magazine, Boys Life, there is a article about the Cub Scouts Bachmann Merit Badge, but says for more information go to bachmann.com. There is nothing on there about it and I even emailed them and got nothing in return. I was wondering if anyone on here knows anything about it. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

jonathan

Dartman,

As my son is a Cub Scout as well, I have done some searching about this.  What follows is a little conjecture (WAG);

There is a BOY Scout Merit Badge for model railroading. The cubs are not eligible for it, yet.  However, my son and I are already drawing up plans for a small 4X8 layout, so he can start early on this badge.  Perhaps the layout will be done by the time he reaches Boy Scouts.

As far as Bachmann is concerned, I believe (can't be sure) that the Cub Scout merit badge was some sort of promotional freebee to help get kids interested in the hobby.  I don't think it actually counted as a real badge. Remember, Cubbies get arrow points, belt loops and progress beads.  Anyway I have never found a real connection between Bachmann and the Cub Scouts.

I'm hoping beyond hope that someone will prove me wrong.

Regards,

Jonathan

dartman68

Jonathan

Thanks for information. And yes you are correct about the cubs not getting Merit Badges. That should of been my first clue to as it didnt apply for the cubs. I guess my sons are one step ahead by already having and helping build a layout. To bad there isnt anything for the cubs cause a few boys in my Den are showing a pretty big like in it and there is nothing better then a early start.
Thanks again for the information and good luck on your layout.  :)

Doneldon

dm68-

It's been a loooong time since I was a Cubmaster and even longer since I was a Cub Scout but I think there may be some aspects of modeling which can help the kids earn arrow points. Or, why not try modeling or modeling motion as a theme for a pack meeting. Kids can do trains, planes, cars and boats with the only requirement that they have to move. You can give out all kinds of awards like for the most seaworthy, smokiest, loudest, smallest, reddest, best stealth, longest, best paint and lots more. Some awards can be to each division (trains, cars, boats, planes) and others can be restricted to a single division like highest flying for planes or most seaworthy for boats. Just set it up so everybody gets something, even if it's only a ribbon. You can give something better to top winners, like a kit for the division in which they model.
                                                          -- D

jonathan

My son's entry for this year's Pinewood Derby:

I think he had a little too much help from dad.  :)

OK did I stray too far from trains?

Regards,

Jonathan

Jerrys HO

Boy have pinewood derby cars changed over the years. That thing looks like something from back to the future. No offense jonathan I just never seen a derby car like that when I was younger.

Jerry

jonathan

;D Last year we did a more traditional car and my son lost every race (last place every time).  He was heart-broken.  This year, every new trick was used: aerodynamics, weight, balance, etc.  OK, now I know we've strayed from trains.  ;D jev  

Doneldon

jonathan-

My pinewood derby experience was like yours. The first year we just had a tapered wedge with graphite on the axles, trued wheels and correct weight. My son won every race. The next year he wanted something more sculpted and he lost over and over again. His car looked super, however. Interestingly, I had built a new electronic track between the two years so he had a ready explanation for his losses: It was dad's fault. Again. What really amazed me was stuff like the kid who showed up with custom machined oil-impregnated bronze bearings. Like a nine year old did that! Unfortunately, the kid's car had to be disqualified because his dad was a gunner. They went to an unrestricted derby at a shopping mall and were pretty successful but the car still wasn't the best.
                                                                                                                                                                                                -- D

jonathan

Yep.  I was at the LHS yesterday.  One can buy ready made Derby cars; painted and ready to race, looking like Indy Eagle cars. Of course, then the kid never gets the lesson, or the point, of the whole exercise. I understand the temptation, though. Winning at least one race, make the day go better.

Regards,

Jonathan

Doneldon

Jonathan-

We did build the second car (I don't think there were any prebuilt cars then and a pre-built car would have been disqualified anyway), but he had a chance to learn about tradeoffs in manufacturing. No one and no thing can solve every challenge. I have an extremely cool, fast and tight old E-type Jag which makes a terrific impression, but I wouldn't want to use it to haul 4x8 plywood sheets.
                                                                                                           -- D

dartman68

Doneldon thanks for the information as I will look into it. Always like doing different things for the boys as it seems sometimes its the same ole stuff each year. Thanks again.

Jonathan car looks good. My older sons first year he won second place in his rank for his car which was a traditonal look funny car. The next year he won first in his rank plus took 2nd overall and his car was Perry the Platypus from the cartoon Finnus and Ferb. Had big bulgy eyeballs and hair and all. I learned that areodynamics dont really play that much of a roll in it cause face it they arent going 300 mph. Weight in the middle of the car and wheels and axles win the race. We spend more time sanding the wheels and axles and hubs plus properly placing the graphite powder on all and look out. This year I have 2 of my sons racing plus myself in the unlimited class we do. We are planing on taking it all. At least thats my boys plan. lol