Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Poor whistle choices on new 2-6-0

Started by florynow, January 06, 2012, 06:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uncbob

Quote from: railtwister on January 10, 2012, 03:20:10 AM
Hey uncbob,

I like your Mantua Camelback 0-6-0/2-6-0 conversion!

Bill in FL

I think you mean RRBOB

richg

I am surprised that either Bachmann or SoundTraxx seem to have got sound incorrect on two brand new series of locos. Makes me wonder about the diesels. Only time will tell.
I hope they can at least come up with a second run that will prove more accurate.

Rich

Bucksco

Personally I don't believe the whistles are wrong. A lot of conjecture and opinions on the internet (as usual). The 2-6-0 is a standard whistle that is very appropriate for this locomotive. As far as the EM-1 is concerned the default whistle is a type of whistle used by the B&O on heavy locomotives. Our product development director is from the Baltimore area and very knowledgeable in regard to all matters B&O and C&O and after discussing it with him I am convinced that the whistle in the EM-1 is appropriate.
I sometimes wonder if anyone out there realizes that there are very few "usable" recordings of these older locomotives in existence.....

railtwister

Quote from: uncbob on January 10, 2012, 07:13:25 AM
Quote from: railtwister on January 10, 2012, 03:20:10 AM
Hey uncbob,

I like your Mantua Camelback 0-6-0/2-6-0 conversion!

Bill in FL

I think you mean RRBOB

Oooops! You're right, I seem to have gotten the "Bobs" mixed up. My apologies to both RRBob and uncbob.

Bill in FL

rogertra

Quote from: rrbob on January 09, 2012, 10:10:58 PM

Here's a link to my Photobucket, with pictures.  ( Never tried  using this link, hope it works!)

http://s338.photobucket.com/albums/n408/tenabob/

Bob D.

Nice job Bob but why red classification facing forward?  BTW, it's "classification lights" on the smokebox.  "Markers" are on the rear of the train only.   A train is not a train, in steam days, unless it carried markers on the rear end. :)

Your class lights should be clear or green, never red, unless you only run the loco in reverse and then they are "markers".  Your class lights can indicated three things.

1)  Class lights out, no signals displayed - regular timetabled train.

2)  White lights or white flags in daylight - Extra train not in timetable.

3)  Green lights or green flags in daylight - Section of regular timetabled train.  All sections display green signals except the last section which displays no signals.

You cannot have sections of an extra only timetabled trains.
No

jonathan

Yardmaster,

Thank you for taking the time to respond on the whistle issue.  I was hoping you or the Bach-Man would give us some logic.  Much appreciated.

The confusion with the EM-1 lies in all the old film of EM-1s in action.  One can't help but notice the hooter-type whistle blown in these 8mm recordings.  It definitely sounds like the N&W 1218 hooter whistle that Soundtraxx offers in their Heavy Steam decoders. Perhaps the whistle was dubbed in to help an otherwise bad sound recording.  It's a shame there hasn't been a real EM1 for 62 years now.

I am no one to argue with your B&O/C&O expert, as my B&O facination is a hobby, not a passionate pursuit for the ideal.  I know your folks did a lot of research prior to pursuing this project.  I am enjoying my EM1s and will live the default whistle.

Everyone at my local club is amazed at how quiet and smooth the locomotive runs.  A great running model is the most important part to me.

Thanks again, for a great model.

Regards,

Jonathan

Bucksco

Something to consider is the fact that old 8mm and later Super8 cameras did not record sound. The films were mose likely dubbed at a later date - who knows how accurate they actually are.