News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

more power

Started by justafew, February 04, 2012, 03:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justafew

What Bachmann locomotive would i need to pull more than 5 cars up a grade, the GP 40 just won't do it.

richg

If it is slipping drivers, you need another loco, heavier loco, not such a steep grade or all the above.

Rich

justafew

Thank you Rich,
    The grade was purchased from Bachmann, i guess i will look for a match union pacific G P 40 dcc.

railtwister

Quote from: justafew on February 04, 2012, 04:23:51 PM
    The grade was purchased from Bachmann, i guess i will look for a match union pacific G P 40 dcc.

I guess you mean you are using the elevated pier set, as available from Bachmann and other manufacturers. If you set the piers too close together, the grade will be too steep. Conversely, spreading them a bit farther apart will lessen the grade. You can also do what the prototype does when the grade is steep, add an additional locomotive.

Bill in FL

on30gn15

Quote from: justafew on February 04, 2012, 03:04:21 PM
What Bachmann locomotive would i need to pull more than 5 cars up a grade, the GP 40 just won't do it.
Actually, that's very realistic. Those piers make for a pretty steep grade.

Here's an illustration of why it is realistic.
Page 87, of Morning Sun Books' title Under Milwaukee Wires,
"... a short Northern Pacific freight waiting in the siding behind one of NP's rugged Z-3 compound 2-8-8-2s. To follow the steamer as it struggles up the canyon, or the quill drive as it drifts down to St. Regis?
Don't be misled by the length of the train behind the mallet. 600 tons is about as much as this engine will be able to handle beyond Haugan, when it encounters NP's own 4% grade over the Bitterroots to Wallace, Idaho. This will be a spectacular show."

Note, a 4% grade is one which rises 4 feet for every 100 feet traveled.
A 4% grade in HO is, more or less, a rise of 1/2 inch for every 13.75 inches traveled.

600 tons made up of 70 ton to 100 ton, oh, let's use 75 ton, loaded freight cars is going to be a pretty short train.

600/75 = 8

And a 2-8-8-2 is a huge steam loco.

Quote from: railtwister on February 04, 2012, 08:45:59 PMIf you set the piers too close together, the grade will be too steep. Conversely, spreading them a bit farther apart will lessen the grade.
That spacing is going to be dictated by track joints - they have to be supported or they will not hold properly as weight crosses them.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest