News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Using remote NON-DCC turnouts on DCC layout

Started by nctrains, February 13, 2012, 08:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nctrains

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question. I am new to model railroading.  I have a Bachmann DCC EZ Command set. Someone gave me several remote NON-DCC turnouts/on nickle silver ez track. How can I use these turnouts in my layout since they are not DCC. How to power them? Thanks!

Jim Banner

You can power the switch motors with a spare power pack or a "wall wart" power supply (looks like a fat plug.)  Something around 12 to 18 volts ac or dc at 1.0 amp or more will do the job.  Look around - you may already have one that came with a piece of electronics that you no longer use.

Normally, these non-DCC remote control turnouts come with a little control box, a red cord and a green cord.  If memory serves, the red cord plugs into the end of the control box (two pins.)  Its other end connects to the power supply.  With a wall wart, this normally means cutting the plug off the end of the cord and splicing the wires to the red cord (don't forget to insulate them with tape or shrink tubing!)  The green cord connects the turnout motor to the bottom of the control box (three pins.)  Once the first control box is connected to the power source, you can plug another control box into the first one.  You can extend this "daisy chain" of control boxes as far as you want, or you can start another chain at a different location, for example at a remote yard.

Just remember when you throw the switches to slide the handle on the control box one way or the other, then press it down only for a short time.  Holding it down can easily burn out the switch motors.

Track power on non-DCC turnouts is through the rails and has NO connection to the switch motor wiring outlined above.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

nctrains

hawaiiho

Quote from: nctrains on February 14, 2012, 07:11:45 PM
Thank you Jim! Very helpful information.

Just remember the new control switches do not require depressing the button, only sliding it back and
forth. The newer switches are also larger and a little tricky to hook up to the old ones.

HONZ

Hi Jim, I am looking for HO turnouts that are self isolating - any suggestions?

Doug

WoundedBear

Don't wait for a reply from Jim....he's pretty much given up on this forum and left.

Sid

Joe323

Are the new switches any better than the old ones.  It has been quite a learning curve getting the EZ track turnouts to work I filed the points replaced the switches with hardware store switches and added a capacitive discharge unit.  But they all work properly now.