News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Seriously Frustrated - Need DCC help

Started by DArrigo, March 04, 2012, 08:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DArrigo

I have a Bachmann Spectrum N&W 4-8-4 Class J Passenger Loco (Sound) #612 (1950's), Bachmann Item #83903, and I've completely lost control of the unit.  I have an MRC Prodigy Express DCC unit, and I've been trying to set the loco up to be identified as its side number (612).  Now I have absolutely zero response from the unit.  I've been trying to follow both the MRC instruction manual and the Tsunami Spectrum Steam Sound User's Guide.  Nothing is working. I am new to DCC, and I am pretty frustrated at this point.  Can someone please explain (in plain English) 1) how to reset the loco and 2) how to program it so that it is identified as Loco 612? PLEASE!

GN.2-6-8-0

Its not your fault.
you cannot program the decoder with the MRc

prodigy.
Find either a person or a club nearby that has a digitrax system with decoder pro,this program is the only way to access the CVs and sound values

Rocky Lives

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

I myself have had no problems programming Bachmann engines with an MRC Prodigy Express except when I first started using it because I could for the life of me figure out what was going wrong when programming my Bachmann GP-40's address but I eventually got it sorted out. It might have programmed it to another address. Try using the recall button as well as any address numbers you can think that it could be. Try 0612, 0003, 0001, and any others you can think of.

Barney R

I have also programmed many Loco's with my MRC Express. If you don't know the address of the loco, then you can change it by using the procedure set out in the directions for the express
http://www.modelrectifier.com/resources/trainsound/0001408.pdf
for programming on the program track. You need to set up a separate piece of track and wire it to the express unit. and then follow the instructions.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

True. And there are even spots for wires going to a programming track in addition to the main "to track" power outputs. When programming with the MRC prodigy expres, there are 4 programming settings. 1) Program on a programming track, 2) Program on the main, and the next 2 are for setting up or removing consists. If you are programming on the main track, use the Program on the main setting by pressing the PROG button twice, once to bring up the programming menu (starts with the program on a programming track option) then press it again to bring up the programmin on the main option then press the enter key. Hope this helps you get things sorted out. And is the N&W J a good engine otherwise?

DArrigo

I built a programming track just to do this since this my first foray into DCC.  I tried the steps both on pgm main and pgm pgm track. I made sure the wires are attached to the appropriate outputs from the MRC pack.  Now nothing is working.  When I set the track up as the main and turn power on, the loco sound starts with the idle sounds.  The resetting instructions in the manual have not worked.  I have no idea what I screwed up.  As far as when I first took it out of the box, it was fantastic!  Ran great, reacted quickly to changes. Sounds were really nice. Very quiet runner too.  I have found one thing that is a drawback to the Prodigy Express though.  Now that I have an issue! The express doesn't read the CV's, it can only program them. I plan on a trip to the hobby shop to see if they can tell me what the settings are if I can't figure it out.  Thanks!

NuthinDragginOwt

Another thought, some DCC systems don't ahve the power to program certain types of decoders. I use Digitrax myself, but the system I originally had did not have the power to program Tsunami decoders (I was using a Digitrax DCS 100 booster at the time). This left me with a choice, either buy a bigger system or get a programming track booster. I decided, due to the size of my layout and future expansions to buy a bigger digitrax system to run with my current system (A DB150 booster). For a smaller layout that may never need to expand to more than one booster, a program track power booster maybe a better option because its much cheaper (most seem to be aorund $50). I have read about them via Tony's Train Exchange, I'm sure there more information on there.

DArrigo

Well, I achieved some level of success.  Up to this point nothing was working; even trying to reset the decoder (CV30 set to 2 & cycle power).  But then I thought about trying something that one normally would not do...Program on Main and not select a locomotive number or an address?  This would likely reprogram every locomotive on the track (not something you'd want to do).  So I did just that, and only changed CV30 to 2, and cycled power.  The decoder reset to baseline, and it's working fine again.  Phew!  Now if I could only figure out how to identify the locomotive as its side number (612).  Thanks for all the feedback.

hawaiiho

Quote from: DArrigo on March 08, 2012, 07:36:39 PM
Well, I achieved some level of success.  Up to this point nothing was working; even trying to reset the decoder (CV30 set to 2 & cycle power).  But then I thought about trying something that one normally would not do...Program on Main and not select a locomotive number or an address?  This would likely reprogram every locomotive on the track (not something you'd want to do).  So I did just that, and only changed CV30 to 2, and cycled power.  The decoder reset to baseline, and it's working fine again.  Phew!  Now if I could only figure out how to identify the locomotive as its side number (612).  Thanks for all the feedback.

I do not have the MRC system, SO, I can't address how to program the long address using the Prodigy Express.

I chose a system that allows the use of JMRI(MRC, unfortunately doesn't) JMRI allows for plain language programming of decoders. That is all I use with my Bachmann DCC locomotives,and I have quite a few including the N & W 4-8-4.     If you can locate someone who has JMRI, it is very simple.

For more information, see:

http://jmri.sourceforge.net/

Will

Coos Rail

YES YOU CAN!  Hi I have a prodigy wireless system and I all so killed three TSU-1000 Tsunamis and two that came in new Bachmanns after three months of Frustration I called MRC and Soundtraxx, they both said to purchase the MRC 829002 PTB programming track booster.
I got one from Model Train Stuff for less than $50.00....WOW now I can readback all my CVs and change all with ease, I was able to get all my DEAD ones back to LIFE,...on your address problem on your main track first set the add. to a high number like 400 ( make sure it worked ) then set it to the low add. number you want.....WORKS FOR ME !

hawaiiho

Quote from: Coos Rail on March 10, 2012, 10:04:16 PM
YES YOU CAN!  Hi I have a prodigy wireless system and I all so killed three TSU-1000 Tsunamis and two that came in new Bachmanns after three months of Frustration I called MRC and Soundtraxx, they both said to purchase the MRC 829002 PTB programming track booster.
I got one from Model Train Stuff for less than $50.00....WOW now I can readback all my CVs and change all with ease, I was able to get all my DEAD ones back to LIFE,...on your address problem on your main track first set the add. to a high number like 400 ( make sure it worked ) then set it to the low add. number you want.....WORKS FOR ME !

Either I misread his posts, or he wants to set it to a high address----612. I don't how the Prodigy Express does that.

Coos Rail

Hi again, I was informed by Soundtraxx that the Prodigy just is not powerful enough ( with out the booster ) to get all the inputs right every time in toady's more powerful decoders , so it can get the input wrong...thus you have know idea what the cvs and address are set to, so that makes the added power and readback ability a necessity . have You down loaded all the manuals from the Soundtaxx web site? I had to read them over and over to finely understand them and get the info I needed, after that it was a easy to fix all of my decoders. as fore the Address problem with the booster I fixed most of them on the program track just by resetting them....but if that fails you must set CV 17 - 18 and 29 first ( if thy are Wrong ) to the specks in the Manuals.